Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

not sure if that stuff really works. use it if you want, but I just recommend doing the good old half weekly 50% + weekly 100% water changes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

It doesn't instantly cycle the tank, but supposedly helps jump start it.

A 1.5 gal tank is too small to cycle. It's hard to keep it stable so you're enter off not cycling at all.
You can still use it but you'll need to do 100% water changes so it will just be thrown away :/
You can add him right away
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #13 
hotrodprincess

Ok well just put him right in the tank tomorrow. His water in the bowl thing looks yucky so id like to get him in something clean right away. The girls had fun feeding him tonight.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #14 
hotrodprincess

Well we got him put in his new home this morning and he seems to be doing well. little guy did not want to leave his little plastic cup. We need to find something for him to hide in that will fit in the tank its a hexagon tank and all of the coffee cups we have are too big for the tank. we drink from big coffee cups i guess.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodprincess View Post
Well we got him put in his new home this morning and he seems to be doing well. little guy did not want to leave his little plastic cup. We need to find something for him to hide in that will fit in the tank its a hexagon tank and all of the coffee cups we have are too big for the tank. we drink from big coffee cups i guess.
Oh I see. Most things that are food safe are fine to use, just no metal.
They tend to be timid when you first bring them home, but once they get used to you they act like little dogs, every time you come by the tank they follow and beg for food :)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 
hotrodprincess

He still seems to be doing good and is swimming a lot more than he was in that small tub. We have been researching betta's today for our Science class and the girls would like to add a live plant to the tank. I emailed the local pet store to see if they carry any. I cant afford to spend a lot right not. Its the only pet store with in an hour and a half from us. I think I would like some kind of moss something that wont take over the tank since its so small.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #17 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
He still seems to be doing good and is swimming a lot more than he was in that small tub. We have been researching betta's today for our Science class and the girls would like to add a live plant to the tank. I emailed the local pet store to see if they carry any. I cant afford to spend a lot right not. Its the only pet store with in an hour and a half from us. I think I would like some kind of moss something that wont take over the tank since its so small.
The most popular moss available is java moss, which grows pretty fast given the right conditions, and will quickly take over the tank :/
I had a couple java ferns and they are very slow growing and easy to take care of.
Heres some info: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...sorum_pteropus

The picture on that website is of one that took a looonnnggg time to grow, and thats what it looks like after a long period of time, co2 and fertilizer. It will grow slowly otherwise.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #18 
hotrodprincess

my 5 year old saw some plant pictures on hear of someones marimo moss balls she thinks they are cute and says he would love it . I don't think they would do much for making the betta happy but if the local store has a small one for a fair price Ill probably let her get it. I have a feeling they don't carry much in our little pet store. I have heard a few people talk of using java moss but i am afraid it would take over our little tank. We currently have aquarium rocks in the tank do plants do well in the rocks or would I need to switch to an aquarium sand.

Last edited by hotrodprincess; 09-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
my 5 year old saw some plant pictures on hear of someones marimo moss balls she thinks they are cute and says he would love it (she is only five). I don't think they would do much for making the betta happy but if the local store has a small one for a fair price Ill probably let her get it. I have a feeling they don't carry much in our little pet store. I have heard a few people talk of using java moss but i am afraid it would take over our little tank. We currently have aquarium rocks in the tank do plants do well in the rocks or would I need to switch to an aquarium sand.
Oh, yes, the marimo moss balls are great because they use a lot of nutrients, which helps prevent algae.
Each plant has it's own specific needs. Java fern does well in any substrate, but it has a rhizome that cannot be buried, so you can bury just the roots but leave the rhizome above the substrate, or use cotton string to tie it to decor (eventually the roots will grow around the decor and stick without string)

So it really depends on the plant you get. Most do well in rocks/gravel but some need to be planted a certain way.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #20 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Oh, yes, the marimo moss balls are great because they use a lot of nutrients, which helps prevent algae.
Each plant has it's own specific needs. Java fern does well in any substrate, but it has a rhizome that cannot be buried, so you can bury just the roots but leave the rhizome above the substrate, or use cotton string to tie it to decor (eventually the roots will grow around the decor and stick without string)

So it really depends on the plant you get. Most do well in rocks/gravel but some need to be planted a certain way.
that's great I will email the pet store and see if she carries and of the marimo moss balls. We have windows ever where and the last time we had the tank up I had algae issues may be it would help.