Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #21 
sunlight

I just want to say that i absolutely agree on every suggestion that teeneythebetta wrote. Just want to add something. I am not sure though about well water. Can you buy stress coat? You can use it as a water conditioner and it also good to use it in general for fish. Or i will recommend Prime by Seachem.

Also make sure you rinse very well new 1.5 bowl with hot warm water before you use it. Don't add salt. You don't need to use it on regular basis. But i would suggest to have it as emergency kit if you ever need to treat betta (i hope not).

I use aged water all the time because it convenient. My bettas during the summer time without heaters so i just put water conditioner and let water sit overnight. This way new water temperature the same as his and i don't have to worry about it. In the winter time i do the same but i just add warmer water that i preapare 30 min before i change them. Also i know that when you age it some chemicals will evaporate.
Also you need thermometer so you can see temperature when when you change him. Especially when you do 100% water changes. I like this kind because you can just stick it on outside of the tank and when you pour new water in the tank you see it right away. I like ATI Horizontal Aquarium one $2.16 very convenient. I have it. When i change the water it show it right away and i see the difference so i know if i have to add warmer water .
http://www.petmountain.com/category/...FUJo4AodjBAAwA

Also not sure if anyone mentioned if you ever will buy live plants it can carry disease so be careful. Always quarantine it in the water with NO water conditioner for a few weeks. And actually you have to do it with new fish if you ever want to put another fish in the same tank. Of course not in 1.5 or 3 gall though.
You probably know that you can have 2 bettas in the tank, male or female.

posted at the same time i didn't see you post :)
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Was that a typo? You can have 1 betta in the tank. Males and females can never live together.
The only time bettas can live together is when you have a 10+ gallon tank that is cycled with at least a group of 4 females, given theyve been quarantined and arent individually too agressive.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #23 
teeneythebetta

I agree on quarantining the plants.
Also, with marimos, be sure to roll it over occasionally. If its not rolled over, the bottom side will turn brown due to lack of light
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #24 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
I just want to say that i absolutely agree on every suggestion that teeneythebetta wrote. Just want to add something. I am not sure though about well water. Can you buy stress coat? You can use it as a water conditioner and it also good to use it in general for fish. Or i will recommend Prime by Seachem.

Also make sure you rinse very well new 1.5 bowl with hot warm water before you use it. Don't add salt. You don't need to use it on regular basis. But i would suggest to have it as emergency kit if you ever need to treat betta (i hope not).

I use aged water all the time because it convenient. My bettas during the summer time without heaters so i just put water conditioner and let water sit overnight. This way new water temperature the same as his and i don't have to worry about it. In the winter time i do the same but i just add warmer water that i preapare 30 min before i change them. Also i know that when you age it some chemicals will evaporate.
Also you need thermometer so you can see temperature when when you change him. Especially when you do 100% water changes. I like this kind because you can just stick it on outside of the tank and when you pour new water in the tank you see it right away. I like ATI Horizontal Aquarium one $2.16 very convenient. I have it. When i change the water it show it right away and i see the difference so i know if i have to add warmer water .
http://www.petmountain.com/category/...FUJo4AodjBAAwA

Also not sure if anyone mentioned if you ever will buy live plants it can carry disease so be careful. Always quarantine it in the water with NO water conditioner for a few weeks. And actually you have to do it with new fish if you ever want to put another fish in the same tank. Of course not in 1.5 or 3 gall though.

posted at the same time i didn't see you post :)
I do have some fresh water aquarium salt on hand Hopefully he never gets sick but what is it used to treat? signs symptoms. We are thinking of getting a live plant and i will be sure to quarantine it before we put it in the tank.
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #25 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodprincess View Post
I do have some fresh water aquarium salt on hand Hopefully he never gets sick but what is it used to treat? signs symptoms. We are thinking of getting a live plant and i will be sure to quarantine it before we put it in the tank.
If you look at these two threads, it talks about different diseases/illnesses, symptoms and what is needed to treat them..
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #26 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
If you look at these two threads, it talks about different diseases/illnesses, symptoms and what is needed to treat them..
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
thanks for the links I have book marked them in case we ever need it. we have both Epsom salt and AQ salt on hand just in case.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #27 
sunlight

Always make sure you leave space between the top of the tank and water level since betta can jump out.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Always make sure you leave space between the top of the tank and water level since betta can jump out.
Im pretty sure the tank has a lid.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #29 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Im pretty sure the tank has a lid.
Yes it has a lid. And the lid has a small vent hole
Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #30 
hotrodprincess

well I found our old adjustable tank heater and I was going to stick it in the tank but it clips to the side and if i do that I cant put the plastic lid on it and im afraid this little guy would try to jump out. I will have to look for a small submersible next time we get to walmart.