Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1 
maroon1

Exclamation URGENT my betta's eye is swollen and he stopped swimming

I fear my male betta fish, maroon, may be dying from an infection in his eye. He has been with us for a year living a happy and very active life. We’ve done our best to follow all of the “experts” advice in terms of feeding, water changing and conditioning , and even playing and training.
He lives in a 2.5 gallon bowl which we fill with treated/conditioned spring water and change it every week. His water is properly heated and filtered.
Maroon has been lethargic since last night and is not eating or surfacing very much. Still swimming just a bit. He is normally very active and playful. His right eye is bulging to 3x the size of the other eye. You can actually see through the outer membrane of the eye. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. We love our betta very much. Thank you in advance for your help.
Attached Images

maroon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

He has popeye. What temperature is his water? does he have a heater?

Also, you should be doing two water changes per week with 2.5 gallons. DO 1 50% change and 1 100% change when not treating him. While treating him, as it says below, you will need 100% daily water changes. Heres how to treat pop eye...

ES= epsom salt (made sure the ingredients has no added scent/surfractants.
AQ salt = aquarium salt
Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn

ALSO...
spring water is not good for bettas because it lacks minerals that are beneficial to them. I suggest using water from your tap, and using water conditioner on it. This is better for him, and cheaper.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 09-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #3 
maroon1

Wow, thank you so much for your quick reply. I will follow your advice right away as I have plain Epsom salts on hand. Can API Tetracycline and the other meds you mentioned be found at pet stores or do I need to order them online? I am very relieved that this is treatable. BTW, his water temp is 75. He has a heater. I just read that upping the temp to 82 may be helpful to his immune system. I will wait on that to see what others say. Your pit is adorable. I am a dog-walker by trade, and a newbie at betta care. Thank you thank you! ~Ingrid

oops, i almost forgot to ask: how much ES for 2.5 gallons of water?

Last edited by maroon1; 09-21-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot to add a question
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon1 View Post
Wow, thank you so much for your quick reply. I will follow your advice right away as I have plain Epsom salts on hand. Can API Tetracycline and the other meds you mentioned be found at pet stores or do I need to order them online? I am very relieved that this is treatable. BTW, his water temp is 75. He has a heater. I just read that upping the temp to 82 may be helpful to his immune system. I will wait on that to see what others say. Your pit is adorable. I am a dog-walker by trade, and a newbie at betta care. Thank you thank you! ~Ingrid
Noo problem, im happy to help! Im online all the time anyways xD

Yes, those meds are available in pet stores like petco and petsmart.
If I were you, i would get maracyn, because that is supposed to be a very good medication, it is available at petsmart for around $7.
75 is a little cold, usually I dont reccomend less than 76. But 78-82 is a perfect temp range for every day living. :)
Oh thanks! :D Hes a little love muffin, my dog.

EDIT: Oh and its 1 teaspoon of ES per gallon. so 2 1/2 teaspoons.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
laynisample

I would definitely recommend boosting the temp in your tank. My fish generally live in the 80* zone.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Good luck. Hope your fishy feels better soon. Keep us posted!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 
maroon1

thank you all so very much!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #8 
sunlight

start with 2tsp/gall of the epsom salt. Better pre mix it in one gall jug for the right dosage. If you don't have one gall just pre mix it in the clean container make sure it dissolved. Do daily water changes . Give us update if he is not better in 6 days or getting worse you might incrase epsom salt up to 3tsp/gall. It can take 4-5 days before you see reduction of the edema...
If you have acces to feed high protein diet of mosquito larva?
I read IAL are good or if you can find dried oak leaves to add to the water. Of course rinse it before you add it.
If you think he will get better after 5-6 days you will need to continue treatment up to 14 or you can do it longer. Epsom salt you can treat for long time with. Aq salt only for 10 days aq sometimes for 13.
Make sure you acclimate your betta to new chemistry/temp.
You can lower the water in his tank so it easier to change the water .
You can maintain temperature 76-80*.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9 
sunlight

acclimate your betta every time when you change him by adding new pre mixed water in his changing cup and let him sit in it. Do it for a few times . Give him about 5-10 min to acclimate. And always cover his cup so he don't jump out.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

I agree with boosting the temp. 75 is way too cold for a betta. 80's is much better for them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dying, urgent