Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Needing encouragement...

Okay, so I've tried live plants in my gravel only 10g divided and they are thriving! So far I have not added anything to them, but may do a bit of fert if they slow down. Anyway, I have my newest 10g divided tank sitting here ready to be set up, and I'm wanting to do a real NPT this time. I have the Organic Miracle Gro, the small grain gravel I used in the other tank, and a bunch of stem plants. I couldn't find any floating plants yet. I have my light, my location, a filter etc. So what's my problem? I'm scared that's what. This tank is going to be for my newest, showiest bettas and I would be devastated if anything happened to them...Anyone who could give me some encouragement right now? I really want to do this, but don't want to make a mistake. I've read a million things on doing an NPT, especially OFL's threads...but here I sit fearful of putting dirt in a tank. I know I sound silly.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 
toad

Do it! Do it!

If you're scared to put them in, just set it up and test the water every day until you feel confident that it's stable :)

Have fun, and don't forget to give us pics :)

In case you were going to ask, I like the step-by-step progression pics the best
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Do it! Do it!

If you're scared to put them in, just set it up and test the water every day until you feel confident that it's stable :)

Have fun, and don't forget to give us pics :)

In case you were going to ask, I like the step-by-step progression pics the best
Yeah, I like step by step ones too, but I've looked at all a million times. I can't do water tests, I don't have a full test kit. I have kept all of my bettas without one since day one. I know not a great idea, but it is really expensive and I have just always done a lot of water changes. Even with the gravel only planted I put fish in the first day, and they have done well. I should trust myself more. (I did see the full test kit on sale today, but I have to bring it up carefully to hubby lol). I'm also worried about it being dirty...I know the cap is important, and adding the water so that it hits the hardscape and not the cap/soil...sigh. I hate my lack of confidence sometimes. I got my first betta just three months ago, I now have 8 and have not had one illness or death, so I should trust myself by now. lol Thanks toad.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah, I like step by step ones too, but I've looked at all a million times. I can't do water tests, I don't have a full test kit. I have kept all of my bettas without one since day one. I know not a great idea, but it is really expensive and I have just always done a lot of water changes. Even with the gravel only planted I put fish in the first day, and they have done well. I should trust myself more. (I did see the full test kit on sale today, but I have to bring it up carefully to hubby lol). I'm also worried about it being dirty...I know the cap is important, and adding the water so that it hits the hardscape and not the cap/soil...sigh. I hate my lack of confidence sometimes. I got my first betta just three months ago, I now have 8 and have not had one illness or death, so I should trust myself by now. lol Thanks toad.
I don't have the test kit either, as I'm a poor kid living on her own lol. But, I understand your reservations, as I was also planning on doing an NPT and I chickened out ha ha ha.

Oh, and I meant that I wanted you to take the progression pics of your tank so we can see them
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I don't have the test kit either, as I'm a poor kid living on her own lol. But, I understand your reservations, as I was also planning on doing an NPT and I chickened out ha ha ha.

Oh, and I meant that I wanted you to take the progression pics of your tank so we can see them
LOL, Yeah I chickened out a few weeks ago and ended up with the gravel planted one instead..and LOL again, I realized afterward that you meant you wanted me to take the step by step pics lol. So, you have a regular tank with plants then too?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

This is my gravel planted tank, three week in...don't mind the mess in the middle, I just dropped all of my new plants in there while I set up the new tank...
Name:  001 (600x449).jpg
Views: 163
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  002 (600x443).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  003 (600x450).jpg
Views: 162
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
LOL, Yeah I chickened out a few weeks ago and ended up with the gravel planted one instead..and LOL again, I realized afterward that you meant you wanted me to take the step by step pics lol. So, you have a regular tank with plants then too?

He he

Yes, actually, all 6 of my tanks are planted, with only gravel or sand as substrate. Works perfectly well, I think.

Pool filter sand is possibly one of my favorite things, ever. I bought a gigantic bag of it - think I spent maybe $20 - have done 3 tanks with it, and still have enough left to do a 4th

ETA: Whoa! That tank looks awesome!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
He he

Yes, actually, all 6 of my tanks are planted, with only gravel or sand as substrate. Works perfectly well, I think.

Pool filter sand is possibly one of my favorite things, ever. I bought a gigantic bag of it - think I spent maybe $20 - have done 3 tanks with it, and still have enough left to do a 4th

ETA: Whoa! That tank looks awesome!
Thanks..it is my fav tank too! Have you had to add ferts or CO2? I haven't, but I wonder if the plants are getting all they need. It has gone so well I almost want to just stick with what is working ya know? I run a filter too, but with very little surface movement..do you have filters in yours?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #9 
toad

Only 1 is currently filtered, and it's the heaviest planted; also, it's the community tank, so a lot more bioload than the others, which all house single bettas. But, I have a couple filters I haven't installed yet, and I think I want a couple sponge filters for the others.

I just recently bought root tabs for a Sword that was looking sad, so I'm using those in a couple tanks, and I'm thinking about getting some liquid ferts because I have some hornwort that isn't doing so hot right now...

But I'm super low tech, no cO2 for me. I did see a little cO2 kit at petco today that intrigued me, but I'm not gonna mess with it lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Set it all up... wait for the growth explosion....
then put fish in!!!!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote