Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #11 
itsonlybarney

I headed out to my LFS today, and came home with a Hailea Aquarium - FC200.

I'll be setting it up towards the end of the week once I have all my equipment ready.

In terms of seeding the tank with BB, what would you all recommend? I could grab some media from my canister filter at home, but where would you recommend placing that in terms of the UGF? Or should I look at using something like Stability or Nitrivec as well?
itsonlybarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #12 
Thunderloon

The first issue I'd have is the under-gravel filtration on that model. Under-gravel systems are bad for planting.

So here's a thought. Get a box of Laterite substrate and don't use the under-gravel system in the tank but DO use the lift-pipe and pump. Get a pre-filter sponge that will fit over that lift pipe's bottom end. Sponge-filter sufficient for a betta - done. Looking at the pump and pipe I'd assume that the Fluval pre-filter for the Edge series should be fine. A different option would be to get a black cube sponge and carve it in the shape of a rock then stick the pipe down into it.

The laterite will support plants just fine and its a nice red-brown color.

For use with a sponge, turn the motor flow down as far as it will go.

As far as seeding goes, just put the assembled sponge-pipe-motor in your main tank and stir up some debris while it runs, about 24 hours should get it good and happy.
If you feel like it, this solution you could cut the plastic pipe to a length just long enough to support the sponge and have just a little black motor-and-sponge assembly hanging in the back.

Just for the visual reference: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/203466003.jpg

Last edited by Thunderloon; 09-19-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #13 
itsonlybarney

Any plants that I put in the tank (likely to be Anubius) will be on driftwood, so I can't imaging needing much substrate.

I may grab some of the media from inside my canister filter to seed the new tank.

Would you recommend letting the tank fully cycle before getting my Betta? (The reason I ask is that the boys at work are going to give me a hard time for having a tank without a fish)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #14 
thekoimaiden

I say don't even bother with the filter media. That tank isn't even 2 gallons and will take a lot of work to cycle and keep cycled. Just do two weekly water changes on it, and you'll be fine.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #15 
itsonlybarney

Someone recommended Seachem Betta Basics as the conditioner, but the LFS didn't recommend it, they simply recommended Prime.

I'll probably go with the WC twice weekly to start with.

One of my wife's work colleagues does water changes every fortnight for his work tank of a similar size.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 
itsonlybarney

The tank I bought has an UGF, but the flow is too great and I would imagine that there wouldn't be many places with still water for my Betta to hang out.

I'm wondering whether I should:
a) Baffle the UGF flow?
b) Not use the UGF and just concentrate on WCs?
c) Get an airstone and sponge filter?

What would you guys recommend?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

I would just not use the UGF or any filter. They are usually acceptable for bettas, but in that small of a tank, I can see how any filter would be a problem. Just too much flow.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #18 
itsonlybarney

The size of the tank I have will make moving easier, catching the Betta to put in a transport bag will be the harder part.

For now I've just turned the UGF off, and will be doing WCs twice weekly unless I notice any need for more.