Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 
celie

Mini Heater

Can someone recommend a good mini heater that is actually mini. I've searched and I've only seen two with good ratings. One of them is the current one I have: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11801485
The size is great, it doesn't take up too much space in my 1.5 gallon tank. The only problem is that it takes too long to work, and when it finally does, the water gets too warm. I just bought a thermometer thinking maybe it was just me, but the temp was about 88 degrees. What is the highest that it can be without affecting my betta? Maybe the one I have is just defective.

I was thinking of purchasing this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12315584
Has anyone used this before? It doesn't really state what size it is. I don't know if it will take up too much space.

I can't keep buying things without knowing for certain that it will work. I'm not even sure if PetCo will accept a return.
celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
kellyyoungmoney

i have the 10w of this kind in my 1/2 gal hospital tank and then i have the 25w in my 2.5 gal and they both are very good heaters.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #3 
twolovers101

I currently have the marina mini in my 3 gal and it works just great, it took a while for it to heat up (maybe about 4 hours to get the water to 76) but has since held it at a steady 76-82 temp, it's been at 80 recently because it's been warmer

I got it because a cold front came through recently and my roommates like to keep the apartment cold :(

One thing I don't like about it is that it isn't adjustable, and I don't think it has an auto turn off if it gets too warm... I just monitor the temp myself
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #4 
Mahachai

I've had many problems with mini heaters like the first one you posted from petsmart. If you're in for a good low cost heater then I recommend buying the aquatop 50w adjustable heater. http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-Aquari...rds=aquatop+50 It's good for tanks smaller than 10 gal. I'm currently using it in my 2 gallon and no problems with fast dropping temp or over heating. It should fit your 1.5 gallon tank or else get a 2.5 rectangular tank (Your betta deserves it. ).
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #5 
Panzer

I have two of the Marina Mini heaters. It does the job. Bumps up the temp about 5 to 8 degrees in a 1 gallon bowl. No issues with it yet.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote