Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #1 
KarenKupferberg

Question Decorations?

Hi,
My bettas have silk plants in their tanks, but I want to add more hiding places.
BUT when I go to the petstore and look at the decorations, and I touch the inside, a lot (if not all) of them have sharp spots/rough edges... almost like they were all finished by an idiot. I'm worried that would rip their finns.
I have checked 4 different stores.
Anyone know of someone who sells some that are safe?
Thank you :)
KarenKupferberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #2 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKupferberg View Post
Hi,
My bettas have silk plants in their tanks, but I want to add more hiding places.
BUT when I go to the petstore and look at the decorations, and I touch the inside, a lot (if not all) of them have sharp spots/rough edges... almost like they were all finished by an idiot. I'm worried that would rip their finns.
I have checked 4 different stores.
Anyone know of someone who sells some that are safe?
Thank you :)
You can make your own out of terra cotta pots or coffee cups. :)
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I do what Shaina does. Also PVC tubes for hides and floating plastic pill bottles.

Floating Anubias (a live plant) makes great hides and hammocks, as does Wisteria. Good topcover (shade) too.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I do what Shaina does. Also PVC tubes for hides and floating plastic pill bottles.

Floating Anubias (a live plant) makes great hides and hammocks, as does Wisteria. Good topcover (shade) too.
Pill bottles? Never thought of that
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

You can sand off the rough edges... do what that "idiot" was supposed to do in the first place LOL!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #6 
KarenKupferberg

Thank youuuuu ^_^
KarenKupferberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #7 
twolovers101

I found a nice resin log at (people are going to hate me for plugging them) but at Petsmart... it has a really smooth inside and no sharp edges, it looks great in my 3 gal, and Nova LOVES swimming through it and hiding in it.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 
babystarz

You can also use natural decorations - rocks with natural holes in them and twisty driftwood work really well :)

To sanitize rocks found outdoors, first bake them on a cookie sheet for 30 mins at 500 degrees, then leave them alone for at least 6 hours. Then scrub them with water and a clean, unused sponge under a running tap, and after that et them soak in a bowl of tank water for 24 hours. Then add them to the tank.

For driftwood, I just soak it in a bowl of tank water for a few days. It'll continue to leak tannins, making the water in the tank visibly tea-colored for a couple of weeks. The tannins aren't harmful to fish or plants.

You can tie moss and rhizome plants like java fern and anubias to big rocks and pieces of driftwood and make some really cool-looking fish habitats.

I also have an overabundance of buildings from the Spongebob decoration line XD

Last edited by babystarz; 09-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #9 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post

My tank will have all silk plants when I am done decorating it. Will the 'floating anubias' need anything special since it is live? How do I take care of it? I like the idea of a floating plant ... can't find anything made of silk though.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #10 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
You can also use natural decorations - rocks with natural holes in them and twisty driftwood work really well :)

To sanitize rocks found outdoors, first bake them on a cookie sheet for 30 mins at 500 degrees, then leave them alone for at least 6 hours. Then scrub them with water and a clean, unused sponge under a running tap, and after that et them soak in a bowl of tank water for 24 hours. Then add them to the tank.

For driftwood, I just soak it in a bowl of tank water for a few days. It'll continue to leak tannins, making the water in the tank visibly tea-colored for a couple of weeks. The tannins aren't harmful to fish or plants.

You can tie moss and rhizome plants like java fern and anubias to big rocks and pieces of driftwood and make some really cool-looking fish habitats.

I also have an overabundance of buildings from the Spongebob decoration line XD
that's a lot of work for rocks, they are not porous so they are not able to absorb any bad things, doing a bleach bath and rinsing would suffice.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote