Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #11 
iamntbatman

The dario dario would be cool, but are likely hard to find. I think a single dwarf puffer would work. The shrimp ideas are all good, as well as the single betta. The other day I ran across a fish known as the galaxy rasbora or celestial pearl danio, Celestichthys margaritatus. These guys get to be an inch long, maximum, so you might be able to get away with a small school in a 2.5g tank. Also, the waters where these fish are found are a bit cooler than standard tropical temperatures, so you might be able to get away with keeping them at room temperature (around 73-74F) as long as it was a steady temperature.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #12 
daisycutter

2.5 is still a little small for a dwarf puffer how about 2 endlers(wild guppy,much smaller) or 3 Dwarf Rasbora or even a trio of Corydoras habrosus(micro cory)a tank of this size can be very cheap to plant you can do it with a single species that will fill the tank like hairgrass,pygmy chain sword or any of the mosses
daisycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #13 
Ariel

a planted tank has to have a filter right? Beacause you can do 100% water changes and remove all the plants, right?
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #14 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
a planted tank has to have a filter right? Beacause you can do 100% water changes and remove all the plants, right?
It all depends on what fish/plants you have. You can do a snail jail with a fish bowl and a plant, and put it near a window, and your good to go. If you want to have a really nice planted tank, I would definately get a filter. This would allow you to keep other things than a betta, and, you shouldn't be doing 100% WC's at one time anyways.

Oh, and the plants will have to keep their root system in the gravel you have. Disturbing them wouldn't be too good.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #15 
missfish1996

[quote="Cody"]Shrimp? You could make a really cool planted tank with brigs and RCS. Do it for the shrimpers here (Bob). :)

Eh, you may be able to do a betta. But I think bettas are overrated.

I thought you liked bettas sorry not to be mean...
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #16 
Jasey

I would recommend getting a filter for your tank no matter what route you go, if you are willing to spend $30ish for one. I had a 2.5g and used AquaClear 20, which has an adjustable flow rate. I kept it on the minimum flow and it was perfect for the tank. Having a filter just helps tremendously in keeping the water clear and clean. You still have to do water changes, and I would recommend a 20-30% change every 4 days for a 2.5g. But a filter just makes things more pleasant and easier.

As far as decorations and the like, unless your fish utilize a cave, I would not put one in there. There just isn't very much space, and if they don't seek shelter in the cave, then it could be removed for more swimming room or perhaps a small live plant. Dwarf sags are a good small plant that resemble grass that would look well in a 2.5.
Jasey is offline   Reply With Quote