Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #31 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodprincess View Post
well I found our old adjustable tank heater and I was going to stick it in the tank but it clips to the side and if i do that I cant put the plastic lid on it and im afraid this little guy would try to jump out. I will have to look for a small submersible next time we get to walmart.
Could you put plastic/saran wrap on the top of the tank until you get another heater?
I love your avatar, he is so cute!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #32 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Could you put plastic/saran wrap on the top of the tank until you get another heater?
I love your avatar, he is so cute!

the plastic lid has a hole in it and the glass tube of the heater will slide down in to it just barley do you think it would melt or get the plastic(well i guess it could be acrylic) too hot?

Thanks he has more purple in real life i had a hard time getting a picture of him
hotrodprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #33 
sunlight

Not sure how to answer you question. But i want to say definitely watch it make sure also it not overheating . I had a few of my heaters malfunctioned before. Since it happened i always check all heaters before i put in or at least check it for the first few days make sure it not overheating or i even saw post heater leaked in the water and contaminate the water. So if you can put during the day so you can check on it.
I didn't use heaters all summer and now it getting cold i have to put them in and i am panicking every time (every year) when i have to put heaters in,checking it all the time.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #34 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Not sure how to answer you question. But i want to say definitely watch it make sure also it not overheating . I had a few of my heaters malfunctioned before. Since it happened i always check all heaters before i put in or at least check it for the first few days make sure it not overheating or i even saw post heater leaked in the water and contaminate the water. So if you can put during the day so you can check on it.
I didn't use heaters all summer and now it getting cold i have to put them in and i am panicking every time (every year) when i have to put heaters in,checking it all the time.
You should get heaters that are adjustable and have a thermostat
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #35 
OrangeAugust

Two plants I really like are Hornwort and Fanwort. They can both float, and Fanwort can also be planted in the substrate but Hornwort can't. You can tie Hornwort to a rock or something that will weigh it on the bottom if you want to, though. I like the way both of them look either floating or anchored to the bottom. I like the look of fanwort a little more- it's more delicate looking. And my fish likes swimming through the floating fanwort because it's less dense.
I found my fanwort at Petsmart, and it was labelled as "bush plant". Either of those plants are great. But if you have a lot of light they will grow super fast and could take over your tank. They're good at absorbing ammonia, too.

Another comment about your well water- I think most things will evaporate from the water if you let it stand overnight, so it should be fine to use without consitioner. Conditioner mainly takes out chlorine and that other similar stuff, but you don't have that in well water. But you could use conditioner just to be safe.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #36 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Two plants I really like are Hornwort and Fanwort. They can both float, and Fanwort can also be planted in the substrate but Hornwort can't. You can tie Hornwort to a rock or something that will weigh it on the bottom if you want to, though. I like the way both of them look either floating or anchored to the bottom. I like the look of fanwort a little more- it's more delicate looking. And my fish likes swimming through the floating fanwort because it's less dense.
I found my fanwort at Petsmart, and it was labelled as "bush plant". Either of those plants are great. But if you have a lot of light they will grow super fast and could take over your tank. They're good at absorbing ammonia, too.

Another comment about your well water- I think most things will evaporate from the water if you let it stand overnight, so it should be fine to use without consitioner. Conditioner mainly takes out chlorine and that other similar stuff, but you don't have that in well water. But you could use conditioner just to be safe.
thanks for the information I had our well water tested and they said everything was great for fish. So we are just using it like it is. We did a water change today about 75% as my daughter screamed I was going to kill her fish because I was taking his water away. It was cute I explained to her that we had to trade some of his water for fresh water so he didnt get sick. We are going to take a trip to the local pet store they have marimo moss balls so we are going to get one of those and take a look at what else they have to offer in the way of plants we are thinking of some flame moss if they have it and tying it to some drift wood (if they have it) and making it look like a little tree and may be something to grow on the bottom like grass well see what they have I dont want anything too complicated to care for or something that is going to take over the tank.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #37 
hotrodprincess

We are the proud owners of a big fat Marimo Ball. we got it for 5.95 today and its bigger than a golf ball. its nice and round and was the best looking one in the tank. The girls are very excited and cant wait to put it in the tank. How long should I wait to put it in the tank it came from the same fish store as our betta there were no snails or anything in the tank with it just marimo balls. We put it in a clean container of water when we got home and squished it a little and its sitting next to the tank in a little container.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #38 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

That is so sweet your girls are all excited about the fish and the moss ball, they sound adorable !!! I would give it a couple of days maybe and just give it a squeeze every now and then to get all dirt out of it if there is any. The girls could do that and than just roll it around in the palm of their hands and put it back in the water.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #39 
hotrodprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
That is so sweet your girls are all excited about the fish and the moss ball, they sound adorable !!! I would give it a couple of days maybe and just give it a squeeze every now and then to get all dirt out of it if there is any. The girls could do that and than just roll it around in the palm of their hands and put it back in the water.
they are very excited we actually put the moss ball in the little tub thing the betta came in. we have squished it a couple times and the water is nice and clean and the tank it came from was very clean. My 3 year old named it Hairy lol and the purple betta got named blue. She would like some crystal wart to grow on the bottom of the tank our local store doesn't carry it and the next nearest fish store is over an hour away. I am looking around may be I can find someone to give me a small starter of it.