Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #11 
ginchinsing

I'm honestly not too worried about it. They came from the same store and were right next to each other. I only have the 20 gallon anyway. It would be easier for them all to get sick because one is sick than try to treat them in those little cups.
ginchinsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Alright. I wish you luck, hopefully they live through it.
Posted via Mobile Device
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #13 
ginchinsing

Bettas are hardy and I'm very experienced in tropical fish. I'm sure they will do very well.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Yes I know they're hardy fish.
But even hardy fish can't live through the UNTREATABLE diseases/illnesses. Especially when one ends up having it and giving it to all the others.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #15 
Pogthefish

I just had to tear down and bleach a whole entire 30 gal tank, trust me, keep that illness OUT of your tank. Also, I reccommend you get ore females to ease the stress, but only if you can listen to us about what you need to do. Trust me, before I had my first sick fish, I didn't quarantine either, but then I got y entire tank infected with ich from ONE little tiny tetra, and I had to Buy all these meds, and eventually, I bought a very expensive uv sanitizer. I ALWAYS qt now, even if I am buying from someone I trust.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #16 
ginchinsing

Guys, I hate to be rude, but I'm not worried about the sick getting sick. I've had fish for half my life - 12 years almost. I had over 30 tanks at one point when I was rescuing fish. I brought back an Oscar that had severe HITH to pristine health and he just recently died at the age of 10. Okay, not really recently, it's been a year.

I know how to treat illnesses and have been successful with a wide variety including ich in a scaleless fish tank. The only illness I failed with was a betta I got from Craigslist that had these strange growths and at the forum I was a member of at the time, we decided they were tumors of some sort. The fish still lived another year, but always with the growths.

The three fish I have now are active, taking their new food without reservation, and seem excited about being in a calmer place than the pet store. I'm still getting wiggle dances from the initial betta and the other two have been more active than they were at the store. I got them for their colors and they are brightening up.

If disease does come about, it would be a lot easier to treat the entire tank than to try dosing for those little cups. That would be nearly impossible. I looked for healthy fish when I chose the bettas, as I always have. If they do get sick, then I'll deal with it and it will only take a few weeks out of my life.

As for getting more fish, I do agree with you. However, at this time, I know I can't add as many as I truly want because the tank is fresh and hasn't had a chance to cycle. I helped it along a little by moving some filter material from my turtle tank, which has an Oscar and pleco, but it will still take time and I don't want to put too many fish in. Any new fish will be quarantined as I will assume my original three to be healthy, whether they are or not. Another reason I have not gotten more fish is because it was a spontaneous buy and I was at the tail end of my pocket money. I will be working this weekend and making a few hundred dollars, so next week I will have plenty of money to buy another set of fish and a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. My new filter should also be coming in on Monday. Right now, the new betta tank is running without a "real" one. I have the filter material both in a mesh bag in the corner and some in a little air pump powered filter you can use for tanks less than 5 gallons. I also have an air stone going to help with the gas exchange and the four plants, so it shouldn't be too bad for the weekend unless the plants decide they want to die.

I'm also running low on my test kit fluids, so I ordered more. It should be in with the filter and for now I am doing 10% water changes in the new tank just in case. I can't imagine the ammonia being very high at this point as the fish are small and the plants are probably helping. As I said, I am very experienced and joined only because I like forums and talking to people who have common interests.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #17 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Crossing fingers for you that you have 3 healthy girls to start with. It certainly sounds like you know what you're doing.

My jaw dropped when I saw that you had 30 tanks at one point

I can only imagine what your water change schedule was like.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #18 
ginchinsing

It wasn't bad after I bought a python siphon. I spent about four hours a week on water changes - 25% each.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #19 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginchinsing View Post
It wasn't bad after I bought a python siphon. I spent about four hours a week on water changes - 25% each.

Nice :) I had visions of myself with 30 tanks and my trusty two gallon jugs that I still have to use for my 75 gallon and 6 other smaller betta tanks.

I have a python but we have faucets that the adapters won't work with. Sigh.......

Admittedly, I haven't done a whole lot of research about it for a while. And on the bright side, I get plenty of exercise on water change day walking back and forth with those jugs.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #20 
ginchinsing

I did the bucket thing for a while and just couldn't continue. I know some people use a submersible pump to help speed along the process, but I'm not really sure of the process.