Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Question How often should I be changing Roy's tank?

So I have Royale, my veil tail betta, in a 1 gallon tank. Here's a pic of it:

I am wondering how often I should be changing the water in his tank and how much water should be changed. How often should I be changing the water in Roy's tank?
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 
babystarz

Do you have a heater for him? A 1 gallon is very susceptible to ammonia buildup so 100% changes at least every other day are essential. If you want to be doing fewer water changes, I would highly recommend upgrading to a 3 gallon tank or larger. Your fish would probably be happier with more space also :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
Bettagirl101

I plan on getting him a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium kit. It comes with a filter cartridge and filter, lighted hood, water conditioner, fish flakes (which I won't be using as I feed him pellets). I plan on buying it with Black Aquarium Sand, live plants, a mirror for him to play with, and a thermometer. My mom won't let me buy the heater no matter how often I tell her I need it. It stays between 75 and 80 degrees by itself. I won't be able to buy it however till christmas. So would changing 50% of the water every Wed. and 100% of the water every Saturday be fine?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettagirl101 View Post
I plan on getting him a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium kit. It comes with a filter cartridge and filter, lighted hood, water conditioner, fish flakes (which I won't be using as I feed him pellets). I plan on buying it with Black Aquarium Sand, live plants, a mirror for him to play with, and a thermometer. My mom won't let me buy the heater no matter how often I tell her I need it. It stays between 75 and 80 degrees by itself. I won't be able to buy it however till christmas. So would changing 50% of the water every Wed. and 100% of the water every Saturday be fine?
I would add another 100% change, on Monday. And up the one on Wednesday to 100% also. The tank isn't going to cycle so there's no harm in replacing the water completely. And since you're in Houston I guess the heater isn't really necessary, but it would be nice to get one eventually to have on hand just in case you have a snap of cold weather at some point :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

That's a good idea with the heater. I just wish my mom would let me just get the heater. I guess I could try that.

Tags
betta aquarium cleaning, clean, tank