Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
Jully

Question Mollies, Neon Tetras, 2 guppies with bettas?

So recently we bought 6 guppies, 6 neon tetras, 4 mollies. But the guppies started dying randomly and when there dead they would be found stuck to the filter side. Now we only have two, which are doing okay.

Another thing is 3 of the neon tetras were sick, with these white stuff in there mouth & they were with the mollies. I brought them back, and added aquarium salt in the mollies bag before I allowed them to get in the tank.

Anyways, if I were to add 4 or 6 female bettas, will they fight with the mollies since they 'look' like a betta, and there's more females and they will probably think it's there own kind, will they try to kill the mollies? I don't know what to do about the guppies if they try to kill them? But ether way, do you think they will be fine and we now have 5 neon tetras, one died too. I guess because of sickness from the other 3 it was with.

I will be buying 1 more neon tetra, but I want bettas do you think it will be safe to put them with? Or shall I not risk it? And how would you recommend feeding the females so they don't get bloated?
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Female bettas can sometimes be to aggressive. Mollies prefer brackish water and can be aggressive. It is possible they will fight it depends on the female. I would have a backup plan if I were you. How big is the tank a 20 gallon is needed for your selection. Make sure you have tons of hiding spots.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 
Jully

It's a 55 gallon.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't stock any more until you have the disease under control...
I recommend you get a second tank and use this for Qt. Work up on the stocking very slowly...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 
homegrown terror

in addition to what everyone else has said, i would have a separate tank on standby in case the bettas fight with any of the other fish and have to be removed. i'd be more worried about the guppies than the mollies, bettas have often been known to mistake a fancy guppy's bright colors and flowy fins for another betta and kill them off.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 
Jully

None of the fish have been getting sick after the other guppies died & that one neon tetra, I took them out and added aquarium salt and looked for diseases and none of them have it. As they are now fine, it was just those other ones.

I did a 50% water change in the 55 gallon to test something, and the fish have been healthier and better, so I do think that if I do add more fish it will be alright, but yes I will quarantine the bettas before I release them into the tank if I do end up purchasing 4 - 8 females.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #7 
Jully

That's usually when there is males, but I see where your going but because the mollies look like females, wouldn't it be fine because 4 mollies + 8 females, wouldn't that kill off some of the aggression? The tank is big too.

Yes I do have an extra 10 - 20 gallon, but it has no filter or heater at the moment, MAY have a filter but I am not quite sure at the moment. If something does happen I can use that tank as backup...

Tags
bettas.etc, feeding, neons