Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

What I recommend on 1.5gal filtered tanks-twice weekly 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method. Leaving him in the tank for water changes.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month.

While the smaller filtered tanks can establish the nitrogen cycle-often it will not be stable due to the limited surface area and why I recommend twice weekly water changes regardless of cycling stage/completeness on tanks under 5gal.

I do recommend master freshwater test kit to monitor water prams, however, you don't have to have one on hand to successfully keep a Betta-especially since you can have your water tested for free at the pet shop-Plus-regardless of the test results you will most likely do the same thing....Water change.....

IMO/E-the 1-2gal tank is fine to keep a Long fin male long term- provided that you make the needed water changes, maintain temp (76-80F) and don't overfeed.

I have found that Long fin males will sometimes have problems in smaller tanks with a filter-sometimes the water movement can be the cause of fin damage and stress on Long fin males.
IMO/E-filters are optional with this species-especially in smaller tanks.

Without a filter water changes would still be twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.
*Note-when making 100% water changes and you remove the Betta to a holding container-It is important to re-acclimate to the new dechlorinated water by adding small amount of new tank water to the holding container over 15 min or to tolerance-net and add back to the tank-Top off tank as needed with dechlorinated water.

IME-I have found that Betta don't produce the amount of byproducts that you might think-most water quality issues stem from overfeeding and/or poor quality foods.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 
celie

Leave him in the tank for water changes? That doesn't seem ideal. I took him out with a plastic cup and put him in a vase that had some of the old water in it. I rinsed the tank and pebbles with hot water before adding the new water in. Then I used the water conditioner and after 15 minutes poured Lex in with some of the old water (about 15-20%) into the tank. Am I doing this wrong? :( They should have videos demonstrating how to do water changes...
celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

You dont want to pour any of that old water back in /: Oldfishlady is right. She has a lot of experience, so you can trust any info from her ;)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I would leave him in the tank for partial water changes-less stressful and limits chance of osmotic shock if not properly acclimated.

With the smaller tanks-I like to do the stir and dip method for water changes.
Unplug the filter and heater
Give the substrate a stir using a chopstick, wood spoon, hand.....etc....
Using a plastic cup-dip half the water out-You will not get all the mulm/debris and this is okay.
Refill the tank with like temp dechlorinated water.
Turn the filter back on-the water should clear within the hour-If not, you either missed a water change or overfeeding or poor quality food.
Plug in the heater and monitor the temp for the next hour.
Be sure and wash hand before and after working on the tank.

Keep all aquarium supplies together and labeled "Fish Only" this will help keep you organized.

Or if you have a small vacuum-use that to vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything.

Too clean can be as bad as too dirty......We all know what too dirty can do....But too clean can also be bad since it is hard for life to exist in too clean and sterile conditions....Its a balance.....

You don't want a crystal clean tank, however, your water should be crystal clear. By having/leaving some mulm/debris/algae in the tank will allow microorganisms to colonize and good bacteria that help keep the bad bacteria in check-it allows the fish to develop antibodies....Balance.....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #15 
celie

Thanks for the advice, oldfishlady. I'm not sure how the vacuum looks or works, but I will do my research. I should be going to Walmart on Friday. I'll get it along with a few other supplies that I need for the tank. Just another quick question... how often should I change that biobag in the filter?
celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

When its falling apart.....it does need a rinse in either old tank water or dechlorinated water a couple of times a month to remove the mulm buildup-otherwise the beneficial bacteria can suffocate and starve....
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #17 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What I recommend on 1.5gal filtered tanks-twice weekly 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method. Leaving him in the tank for water changes.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month.

While the smaller filtered tanks can establish the nitrogen cycle-often it will not be stable due to the limited surface area and why I recommend twice weekly water changes regardless of cycling stage/completeness on tanks under 5gal.

I do recommend master freshwater test kit to monitor water prams, however, you don't have to have one on hand to successfully keep a Betta-especially since you can have your water tested for free at the pet shop-Plus-regardless of the test results you will most likely do the same thing....Water change.....

IMO/E-the 1-2gal tank is fine to keep a Long fin male long term- provided that you make the needed water changes, maintain temp (76-80F) and don't overfeed.

I have found that Long fin males will sometimes have problems in smaller tanks with a filter-sometimes the water movement can be the cause of fin damage and stress on Long fin males.
IMO/E-filters are optional with this species-especially in smaller tanks.

Without a filter water changes would still be twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.
*Note-when making 100% water changes and you remove the Betta to a holding container-It is important to re-acclimate to the new dechlorinated water by adding small amount of new tank water to the holding container over 15 min or to tolerance-net and add back to the tank-Top off tank as needed with dechlorinated water.

IME-I have found that Betta don't produce the amount of byproducts that you might think-most water quality issues stem from overfeeding and/or poor quality foods.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.
Do you have a special filter you like to use? I just bought the marineland filters for my 2-10 gal but noticed they are too strong. I tried the plastic bottle method to slow it down but no luck. the filter is a little bigger and bulky.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Sponge filter are good for smaller tanks and long fin males-but filters are optional IMO/E....