Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #781 
LittleWatty

I'm pretty sure Tubby is male - he's got the funky armpit pimples. Skinny... I just have no idea. I think its too young yet to tell. I think Skinny is a good few months behind Tubby in age (who just exploded in terms of size within the month I've had him). I thought he was female, considering his fat belly XD

I don't know about the fungus. I've even asked some Petco employees that I know have done their research, and they have no idea if their suppliers do anything to prevent the fungus. I'm playing my luck with these two. I've had them for almost 2 months now (I think), so there's maybe a month to go before they're in the green zone. I just know the recommended quarantine for ADFs is 3 months, as that's supposedly how long it takes to run its course, at the longest.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #782 
Chesh

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find a local breeder, and even if you did - how would you be able to ensure that their stock is chytrid-free, anyway. . .

But don't be SO quick to judge the chain shops. In truth, since there has been so much trouble over Chytrid - not just in frogs kept as pets, but it's wreaking havoc on wild ecosystems all over the world - the breeders and shops seem to be doing a great job in trying to keep the illness from spreading. Though it IS still a problem in petshops, lately I've seen a shift with it showing up less frequently in the larger shops, and more often in the smaller LFS. It's unfortunate, but many LFS keepers are just not as familiar with frogs as they are fish, and it seems that some of these shop owners don't really know anything about Chytrid. If you do end up getting a frog from a LFS, your BEST bet would be to AVOID one that also carries ACF - African Clawed Frogs - as these guys can be carriers for the illness, but it doesn't affect them. They are often blamed for it having become such a worldwide problem.

I can't speak for any other chains, but I have been in touch with the lead veterinarian on a corporate level for the PetSmart chain several times to get information on how they run their operations - and one of our conversations was exclusively regarding their policies and practices regarding ADF. I'm going to copy-paste it on here - you can find the original post on page 10 of this thread. . .

Quote:
I'm not sure if I mentioned on here that I've tried to contact PetSmart on the corporate level regarding their practices regarding the chytrid fungus and the frogs that they sell. I thought I had reached a dead-end, but I got a call from their corporate veterinarian - Dr. Nick St.Urn.

He seems to be a very knowledgeable person, very aware of the chytrid fungus, and well versed in the condition, signs, and treatment of it, and claims to have given many lectures over the last few years on this condition and how to treat it to veterinarians and pet stores to increase awareness of this awful disease.

He says that ALL FROGS SOLD FROM PetSmart come from a single breeder. They are tested for chytrid and Salmonella at least two times BEFORE EVER REACHING THE STORE! If they test positive, the entire 'batch' is immediately treated, then tested again.

Dr. Nick says that this has been the practice since the problem first came to his attention several years ago, and at that time the frogs sold by PetSmart were, in fact, infected - according to their tests. Since then, they have taken great care to ensure that their livestock is tested multiple times, and treated if necessary before it ever reaches the store level!

First the breeder tests them, and he is being audited by PetSmart staff on a continuous basis to ensure the health of their livestock. Additionally, they test ALL of the ADFs at their testing and distribution center AGAIN before sending them off to local shops for sale. He pulled the reports for the most recent 'batch' and claims that there were NO infected frogs, and that the breeder has been doing a fantastic job keeping his stock fungus-free.

Their frogs are treated with Benzalkonium chloride - not something that I can easily lay my hands on should the need arise, I suspect. . . but he did offer me several other methods of treatment, These are very simple, actually, and I wanted to share them here, in the hopes that they can help others.
I have since been in touch with him again regarding what they do on a store-level to ensure that their ADF were disease-free, as they do carry other frogs (both aquatic and non) that could be carriers or affected with the disease. The other frogs that can be carriers are tested just as the ADF are, and the nets are dipped in a solution that will disinfect it between uses - not just of Chytrid, but other yuggies that may be present. I don't think this matters as much, since their water runs through a central system, but knowing that they're all tested makes me feel better :) I have 2 PetSmart ADFs, and they're chytrid-free :)

If you do have the misfortune of having an affected frog, there are now some options available to treat if you catch it soon enough, so it doesn't have to be a death-sentence anymore! Sorry for the book, but I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that this issue is being addressed - not just in shops, but on a global level. It still is a major problem in nature, with species being brought to extinction - I don't know HOW they'll manage to 'fix' this mess, but the GOOD news is that, as far as shops are concerned, things are looking up.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #783 
Chesh

LOVE that shot, Watty!!! Tubby, aww!!! With the female ADF's being larger as a general rule. . . it'll be funny when your Skinny DOES turn out to be a girl, and gets tubbier than tubby! My male ADF had pimples at a very young age, so. . . *shrug* Time WILL tell!!!

As long as you got your frogs together, then if one was infected, the other would be. Chytrid CAN NOT HARM fish, though they can be carriers for the illness for a period of about one month AFTER the affected frog is removed from the tank. QT is only an issue when you bring a new frog to live with an existing frog, as if the newbie is infected, the original frog will get it too. It's always best to get 2 (or more) at once if you want them, that way you don't have to deal with the QT - 3 months is FOREVER!!! It can take up to 3 months for Chytrid to become apparent in a frog - but once infected, the frog will die. There is no course - unless the frog is treated, it can not survive. :( See page 10 for some of the information I dug up on treatment options, and also a bit about how the disease works, and why it's so deadly. Poor froggies

Even at PetSmart, the employees on a store-level have no idea about Chytrid! (at least none of them here did, and I asked several - including the manager who gave me the corporate number) I may have to see if I can get in touch with the 'big-wig' at PetCo to see what they've done (if anything) to prevent this nasty illness in their shop. With all the publicity that Chytrid has gotten over the last few years, and all the destruction it's caused in natural eco-systems - I can't imagine that they haven't put some rules in place to keep their stock clean. . . at least, I'd hope so!

Last edited by Chesh; 09-23-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #784 
SurprisinglyFemale

I have a video of my ADF's feeding. Could you tell me if I have 2 boys and a girl or three boys? They're pretty cute so it's not terribly boring :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYimi55XOxQ
SurprisinglyFemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #785 
Chesh

AWWW! Cute video! I never get bored of AD frogs - thanks for sharing!

I'm *guessing* you may be right that it's 2f and 1m, but it's REALLY hard for me to tell from the video, and I don't want to tell you wrong! Pretty much, if they're at least 9 months old and have armpit pimples, you have boys :) I saw two of yours that had white looking patches behind their arms, but couldn't make out if they were bumps or coloration, sorry!

How long have you had these guys, or do you have any idea of their age? It's hard to tell gender until they reach sexual maturity at around 9 months of age (that said, my tiny male frog was mature when I got him)

A few guidelines. . . male frogs will develop a small white or pinkish ‘pimple,’ called a post-axillary subdermal gland, on their side, just behind their armpit. They also tend to be thinner and all over smaller than females, as a general rule, and their tiny 'tails' are shorter. Males can most easily be identified because they ‘sing’ to find a mate, even when they’re all alone in the tank. It sounds like a faint buzzing or humming, but it is audible, and it will be repeated (*grumbles* Even though I have a mating pair, I have only heard it via recordings, MY male refuses to sing - at least not when I can hear it! Others here have had frogs that sing, though. SO jealous!). I've read that on males you can see a sort of line extending from their vent up and over each hip – like a pair of bikini underwear - I have yet to actually check this for myself, I'll have to see what I can see tomorrow. . . Female Dwarfs grow to be larger on the whole, and tend to become pear-shaped when their eggs have developed inside of them. Their 'tails' are longer, and some sources say that you can see a small bump between their legs, where the eggs emerge (I can't)

Hope this helps?

Last edited by Chesh; 09-23-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #786 
SurprisinglyFemale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
AWWW! Cute video! I never get bored of AD frogs - thanks for sharing!

I'm *guessing* you may be right that it's 2f and 1m, but it's REALLY hard for me to tell from the video, and I don't want to tell you wrong! Pretty much, if they're at least 9 months old and have armpit pimples, you have boys :) I saw two of yours that had white looking patches behind their arms, but couldn't make out if they were bumps or coloration, sorry!

How long have you had these guys, or do you have any idea of their age? It's hard to tell gender until they reach sexual maturity at around 9 months of age (that said, my tiny male frog was mature when I got him)

A few guidelines. . . male frogs will develop a small white or pinkish ‘pimple,’ called a post-axillary subdermal gland, on their side, just behind their armpit. They also tend to be thinner and all over smaller than females, as a general rule, and their tiny 'tails' are shorter. Males can most easily be identified because they ‘sing’ to find a mate, even when they’re all alone in the tank. It sounds like a faint buzzing or humming, but it is audible, and it will be repeated (*grumbles* Even though I have a mating pair, I have only heard it via recordings, MY male refuses to sing - at least not when I can hear it! Others here have had frogs that sing, though. SO jealous!). I've read that on males you can see a sort of line extending from their vent up and over each hip – like a pair of bikini underwear - I have yet to actually check this for myself, I'll have to see what I can see tomorrow. . . Female Dwarfs grow to be larger on the whole, and tend to become pear-shaped when their eggs have developed inside of them. Their 'tails' are longer, and some sources say that you can see a small bump between their legs, where the eggs emerge (I can't)

Hope this helps?
I know I have at least two male, they've had their armpit pimples for quite a while but my fatter frog "Lady" seems to have a peachy spot on her armpits, I wasn't sure if that meant she was male or just had some color right there.

:) my baby Croaks sings to me every night around 11pm or 12pm if he's comfortable ( not immediately after a water change or anything being moved adound their tank). I used to have Wolowitz who would sing every now and then. I've had them since July 12. Back then, they all looked the same xD it took a month before they started to sing!

I have a video on that same channel where they try to ambush my betta (no fins were bitten or even touched) and the frogs just end up biting eachother xD such bullies! They'll bite just about anything! Such rascals..
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #787 
Chesh

You had me with 'fatter!' It DID look like 2m and 1f to me, too - so I'm thinking you're right on this one. They do have lighter coloration under their arms and on their bellies - of course this varies from frog to frog, but if there isn't a bump, it's not a boy

I'm so jealous of you and your singing frog! Croaks is an adorable name, btw! I don't know WHY my little Frecks won't sing to me, Lord knows I'm up late enough, and they're very happy - mating, even. Someday. . . someday. He'd better, the little brat! I spend too much time lovin' on my frogs for him not to give me the satisfaction!

They ARE rascals! And they DO bite everything in the tank. I think for the most part it's because they have such a hard time seeing, but are amazing at detecting vibrations in the water, so they pounce. Never realize it's a fish twice their size, or another frog, until they get a mouthful! I've seen my Speckles hunt guppy fry, and . . . it was amazing! Those poor little gups never stood a chance against her mad hunting skillz. Yet she flounces around on the bottom of the tank for ages searching for her dead wormies, poor girl.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #788 
katydidmischief

Quote:
where can I find a breeder that has disease free ones?
I got my guys from Petsmart and haven't had a problem with disease.

Last edited by katydidmischief; 09-24-2012 at 05:07 AM.
katydidmischief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #789 
wombatgirl

Do ADF's have a problem with stronger lights? I just changed the bulb on my tank because I wanted to help the plants grow, and Legolas seems to be hiding more.
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #790 
SurprisinglyFemale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
You had me with 'fatter!' It DID look like 2m and 1f to me, too - so I'm thinking you're right on this one. They do have lighter coloration under their arms and on their bellies - of course this varies from frog to frog, but if there isn't a bump, it's not a boy

I'm so jealous of you and your singing frog! Croaks is an adorable name, btw! I don't know WHY my little Frecks won't sing to me, Lord knows I'm up late enough, and they're very happy - mating, even. Someday. . . someday. He'd better, the little brat! I spend too much time lovin' on my frogs for him not to give me the satisfaction!

They ARE rascals! And they DO bite everything in the tank. I think for the most part it's because they have such a hard time seeing, but are amazing at detecting vibrations in the water, so they pounce. Never realize it's a fish twice their size, or another frog, until they get a mouthful! I've seen my Speckles hunt guppy fry, and . . . it was amazing! Those poor little gups never stood a chance against her mad hunting skillz. Yet she flounces around on the bottom of the tank for ages searching for her dead wormies, poor girl.
We named him Croaks before he started singing. My boyfriend named him that when I first got them (he thought I was going to kill them all). He named it Croaks so if it did die he could make some stupid fish pun about it.

Croaks is the horny one of the group xD he tried to grab any frog he could get his hands on(male or female!). Lady is a rude little pig, she bites the other frogs a lot and eats until she doesn't want to move( I have to move her and feed the others again), and Wolowitz is just pretty active.

I love how they float ontop of the water! I usually try petting them or holding them there, they don't seem to mind :)