Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 
babystarz

Free Snails

I have free baby pond snails that I will send to anyone in the U.S. for the cost of shipping a padded bubble envelope (should be around $1.96 depending on where you live).

I am trying to get two other snail species breeding in my tank and of course the interloper pond snails that rode in on the plants got to it first :P I feel bad about smushing newborn snails so if anyone wants to give them a good home I'd rather ship them than keep killing them. The babies are the size of grains of salt right now. I will include as many as you want, basically. I may be able to snatch an adult or two as well.

Just PM me if you want some pond snails.

I do have populations of Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Ramshorn snails so if you're interested in either of those species let me know and I'll put you on a list to contact when I'm ready with babies from them too. I will probably ask for $1 for a container of MTS snails because they were expensive but the Ramshorns will be free.

PLEASE NOTE: Snails are really tenacious invasive species in many places, so if you want snails from me you must promise me you will never, ever set a snail free in the wild, or otherwise dispose of a snail where it could escape into the environment and wreak havoc on your native wildlife populations.

Last edited by babystarz; 09-23-2012 at 11:27 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
a padded bubble envelope
Have you shipped live snails like this before successfully? If not I'd use a small box with the snails in a bag full of air/water just like a fish. Plants shipped in bubble envelopes don't survive in my experience.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Have you shipped live snails like this before successfully? If not I'd use a small box with the snails in a bag full of air/water just like a fish. Plants shipped in bubble envelopes don't survive in my experience.
I am planning to put a tiny box or tupperware container inside the envelope so they cannot be squished in their bag :) Padded envelopes just help keep the weight of the package down while still adding some cushioning/insulation.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 
BettaQi

Aokashi's envelopes got put through the rollers of the separator and were crushed.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
Aokashi's envelopes got put through the rollers of the separator and were crushed.
I'll be sure to mark them with "FRAGILE LIVE ANIMAL - please hand sort, do not bend or crush." I do send fragile items in the mail pretty often and so far nothing has ever been damaged, but if someone wants to pay the price for shipping a box I am happy to do that too.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 
registereduser

I guess it could work OK but there is also temperature to contend with, the plants weren't just squished they were cooked. I hope no one receives escargot
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Actually I shipped 10+ Ramshorns in a box with minimal water and they survived very well...and guess who I sent it to? lol

I'm pretty sure pond snails only need to stay moist :) I often see mine inches above the water line

i'm deathly paranoid of envelopes now XD

Last edited by ao; 09-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #8 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Actually I shipped 10+ Ramshorns in a box with minimal water and they survived very well...and guess who I sent it to? lol

I'm pretty sure pond snails only need to stay moist :) I often see mine inches above the water line

i'm deathly paranoid of envelopes now XD
Oh I am glad the snail shipping worked!

I should've been clear that it was a plant envelope.

My bad.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote