Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #41 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Expect the nitrites to increase some before they go down.

You're on the home stretch.

That sword doesn't look terminal. It'll love all that nitrate.
Thanks, Hallyx!! I am going to go by the store soon and pick up some root tab fertilizer. I would also like some water wisteria since I've heard it doesn't require much maintenance.

I'll keep this updated!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #42 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Question Questions about the filter

Right now for the cycle's sake I have the filter (Hagen Elite Mini) on full-blast, which obviously creates a lot of water current. I plan to baffle it with some extra filter foam, but when it is time for acclimate Tom to the tank, should I leave the filter on full blast? Or turn it down to low?

Also, the outside of the air tube on the filter has been gathering some build-up (mold? BB?) at the base where it connects to the filter. I have been wiping it off because it looks gross, but I was wondering if I should be leaving it alone? What is this build-up and is it safe for Tom to be in contact with when I acclimate him?

Last question (for now )!-- How often should I clean out the filter's internal foam? Does it need to be cleaned after the cycle is fully complete and before I acclimate Tom?

Thanks
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #43 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
My attempt at baffling the filter

Btw... I just attempted to baffle the filter by rubber banding some extra filter foam around the outflow nozzle. It has greatly reduced the flow, but there are still bubbles seeping out causing some rippling on the water's surface. It's minimal though. Does this look like it'll work??:
Attached Images
  

Last edited by TigerRegalia; 09-23-2012 at 05:14 PM.
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #44 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRegalia View Post
Btw... I just attempted to baffle the filter by rubber banding some extra filter foam around the outflow nozzle. It has greatly reduced the flow, but there are still bubbles seeping out causing some rippling on the water's surface. It's minimal though. Does this look like it'll work??:
Ok the bubbles are coming from the air tube that is sticking out of the water. The flow of water pulls air in from the tube using The Venturi effect. Seal the tube or just remove it. The air bubbles will stop. I would put the foam on the intake, this will help dampen the filter and prevent your fish from getting sucked into the impeller. If it doesn't dampen enough then just put some foam on the output like you have done, but make sure you do put the foam on the intake. BTW do not wash your foam filter. When your doing a water change just pull the filter out and squeeze it into the bucket of water that you just siphoned out. Then replace back into your filter. If you wash it in tap water and over do the washing you will have to redo the cycle again.

Last edited by goldfishyman; 09-23-2012 at 05:29 PM.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #45 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Ok the bubbles are coming from the air tube that is sticking out of the water. The flow of water pulls air in from the tube using The Venturi effect. Seal the tube or just remove it. The air bubbles will stop. I would put the foam on the intake, this will help dampen the filter and prevent your fish from getting sucked into the impeller. If it doesn't dampen enough then just put some foam on the output like you have done, but make sure you do put the foam on the intake. BTW do not wash your foam filter. When your doing a water change just pull the filter out and squeeze it into the bucket of water that you just siphoned out. Then replace back into your filter. If you wash it in tap water and over do the washing you will have to redo the cycle again.
Thank you for the tips!! I know the air tube provides the beneficial bacteria in the filter compartment with oxygen, so I am wondering if I should remove it. Your suggestion makes perfect sense though. Thanks for the tip about putting some foam on the intake too-- I would hate for Tom to get sucked up! Regarding squeezing out the filter foam into a bucket of siphoned tank water--how often do I need to do that?
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #46 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I would only do it if there is a noticeable reduction of flow from the filter. Since its only 1 betta might take as long as 3 months to start to foul up. So maybe once a month or every other month. I usually just wait till flow slows down myself.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #47 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Talking

Thanks for the tips, goldfishyman! I will keep those things in mind.

*UPDATE*

My Ammonia and NitrIte levels are now 0 ppm However, my NitrAte is about 30 ppm -- do I wait for this level to fall to about 5 ppm on its own before I acclimate Tom? Or do I need to do a PWC to bring those levels down myself?

Last edited by TigerRegalia; 09-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #48 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRegalia View Post
Thanks for the tips, goldfishyman! I will keep those things in mind.

*UPDATE*

My Ammonia and NitrIte levels are now 0 ppm However, my NitrAte is about 30 ppm -- do I wait for this level to fall to about 5 ppm on its own before I acclimate Tom? Or do I need to do a PWC to bring those levels down myself?
Nitrate will not go down on its own unless you have a de-nitrate system or plants. This is the reason for doing partial water changes. The filter handles most of the bad stuff but water changes are pretty much how you handle nitrates. Plants will work but you need a lot of plants to keep the nitrates low. Anaerobic bacteria will eat nitrates but you need a special type of filter that cultures these bacteria. These bacteria will only exist in an environment without oxygen.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #49 
TigerRegalia
Member
 
TigerRegalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Nitrate will not go down on its own unless you have a de-nitrate system or plants. This is the reason for doing partial water changes. The filter handles most of the bad stuff but water changes are pretty much how you handle nitrates. Plants will work but you need a lot of plants to keep the nitrates low. Anaerobic bacteria will eat nitrates but you need a special type of filter that cultures these bacteria. These bacteria will only exist in an environment without oxygen.
Ok, thanks!! I will redose the ammonia tonight to see if the cycle will process it back down to 0. If it brings the ammonia and nitrite back down to 0 by tomorrow night, I'll do a large water change before acclimating Tom into his new home!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #50 
goldfishyman
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Good luck
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.