Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 
Kittykat7

Looking for some filter ideas...

I have a 10 gallon, a 5 gallon and within my family there are 3 more 5 gallon tanks (that I also care for). I have the hanging filters on all of them but I want to get rid of them. My dad and I have double tails and they have the hardest time with the flow. My dad's fish has a really bad habit of resting against a pirate decoration because of the flow and it was shredding his fins (I just fixed that situation). My fish just rests in one of his plants and I just witnessed twice yesterday him getting sucked into the filter (scared the crap out of me). I currently have the filter off in my tank. My 10 gal sorority seems to be doing just fine with the filter, but I wouldn't mind changing it too. I am considering sponge filters for all of the tanks. I just came across this undergravel system http://www.petco.com/product/7168/Pe...quariumFilters. Would that work in the 10 gallon? Does anybody else use them? Can it be used with sand?

I just switched my 2.5 gallon tank to sand and I must admit I really love the way it turned out. I am looking to switch all of tanks to sand. What would be the best filter for sand tanks?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and just to mention I have tried baffling the filters and it doesn't seem to solve any problems.
Kittykat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 
megaredize

i would suggest the sponge filter, under gravel filters are not that good and hard to clean out. Gunk get stuck in the gravel easily and i have heard from other people to stay away from them. Your fish can rest on the sponge filter and the sponge can hold a lot of beneficial bacteria.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 
sarahspins

I would also suggest sponge filters over undergravel filters (the problem with those is that they simply pull waste into the gravel and below the "filter frame" where it then rots - to remove it you have to tear apart your tank *completely*) , but if you can find an internal power filter with a spray bar you can also wrap the bar in foam to baffle the flow.. I have those set up in 3 of my betta tanks and they work great.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #4 
goldfishyman

You can try this method I posted on fixing your filters flow.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-betta-115070/

Under gravel with reverse flow works great. If your going sand under gravel will not work.

You can try this filter. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1348290320&sr=8-11&keywords=filter+aquarium]Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Its really small you can control the flow and you can swap between a directional output to a spray bar.

This one is ok too if remove the filter media and put in some sponges. Flow is also adjustable.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A285-Marina-Power-Filter/dp/B0032G8TPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348290405&sr=8-1&keywords=Marina+s10"]Amazon.com: Marina S10 Power Filter: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Cheap sponge filter you can try with 2 foam pieces
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter-Fish/dp/B0056XVF82/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1348290508&sr=8-4&keywords=sponge+aquarium+filter]Amazon.com: Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump: Pet Supplies[/ame]
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

Reverse flow doesn't work any better than regular flow, reverse just has a sponge filter on the front end.

Better to just leave a thin layer of gravel in an un-planted tank and use a sponge filter.

If you want plants at all, never use an under-gravel rig.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #6 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Reverse flow doesn't work any better than regular flow, reverse just has a sponge filter on the front end.

Better to just leave a thin layer of gravel in an un-planted tank and use a sponge filter.

If you want plants at all, never use an under-gravel rig.
Reverse flow undergravel filter uses a power head with reverse flow option to push water into the undergravel filter instead of pulling water up. This causes water to flow up from the bottom of the substrate instead of water and gunk getting pulled under the plate. The normal setup uses a air to move the water up pulling water into the gravel along with any debris and waste. Reverse flow Undergravel should not require vacuuming of the gravel because waste products are not allowed to settle into the gravel. It can be used successfully in planted tanks if done right. It has been used in ADA planted tanks with great success.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #7 
Kittykat7

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. I think I will give the sponge filters a try. I appreciate all the help!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #8 
goldfishyman

Just remember the sponge filters require an Air pump and they can be loud and annoying depending on the room the tank will be in.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 
Kittykat7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Just remember the sponge filters require an Air pump and they can be loud and annoying depending on the room the tank will be in.
Thanks. I actually have one air pump set up in my 2.5 gallon and the humming doesn't bother me. It is actually kind of soothing to me... lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #10 
Knitterly

I love sponge filters. You don't have to buy replacement cartridges for them! I have mostly Hydro filters (amazon carries them. the 0 is good for up to 7.5gal and the 1 is good for 10gal tanks). I recently bought a cheap sponge filter on Amazon that suction cups to the wall of the tank. It seems to be doing okay, too. It was $2 or something.

They do take up room in the tank, but so do the flow filters.

One of the best things about the hydro, is that if you buy a hydro 0 for a 2.5 or 5.5 gallon tank and decide to upgrade to a 10+ tank, you only need to buy a larger replacement sponge, not a whole new filter rig. The sponges are pretty cheap, so it's an inexpensive upgrade!
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote