Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #11 
Laki

13 months is only like half old for a hamster. My hamsters died at like 2.5-3 years.
It could be food, boredom, lack of cage stimulation, or it could be injury or illness (hope it's not)
Leave him alone and let him sleep. Hamsters are nocturnal so they appreciate being left alone during the day. They need good substrate (NOT pine and cedar) and they need constant stimulation. Remove his food dish, make him find it. Hide pieces in different places. Tie up ropes and ladders for him to climb.. This is providing he is just bored.
Does he wheeze? I find pet store small animals sometimes succumb to upper respiratory infections because of the pine shavings from the store. EVEN months after appearing fine.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

When i say he is acting different i am OBVIOUSLY talking about night time. I know how to take care of hamsters. Not all animals live to their full potential age...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 
Laki

I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, even I used to disturb my hamsters during the day sometimes. It's been a few years since I've had them though and I was covering the bases I remember. Sorry if I offended you, I know you research your pets!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #14 
gn3ranger

It kinda sound like's symptoms of diarrhea kinda weird to ask but is he pooping normally. Heavy breathing doesn't sound to good be sure it isn't raspy sounding when he breathes that's a indicator to upper respiratory infections. When any rodent has diarrhea they tend to drink much more than usual to keep up their hydration that's the only thing I can think of.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 09-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, even I used to disturb my hamsters during the day sometimes. It's been a few years since I've had them though and I was covering the bases I remember. Sorry if I offended you, I know you research your pets!!
It's okay it makes me a little grumpy when people do that, but I know you were just trying to help. Sorry I snapped at you /:
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
It kinda sound like's symptoms of diarrhea kinda weird to ask but is he pooping normally. Heavy breathing doesn't sound to good be sure it isn't raspy sounding when he breathes that's a indicator to upper respiratory infections. When any rodent has diarrhea they tend to drink much more than usual to keep up their hydration that's the only thing I can think of.
His poop looks fine....Maybe it's just too hot in my room...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #17 
LadyVictorian

Heavy breathing sounds like uri which is fatal in rodents unless treated. I don't want to jump to conclussions but at this point a vert is a good ideal.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #18 
MoonShadow

Have you been sick at all with a cold? Hamsters can get colds from people which will quickly turn into an URI and then pneumonia, if he's been like this for awhile and isn't improving then I would suggest a trip to the vet!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #19 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yes. A vet trip is a must. I know that a good small animal vet is hard to find but its well worth it.

MoonShadow, I highly doubt that hamster URIs are caused by transfer of the human cold virus. The only virus I know of that can be transferred from species to species is the Rabies Virus. I am pretty sure that the virus that causes an URI in a hamster is a very different one than the one that causes a human cold.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 09-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #20 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
MoonShadow, I highly doubt that hamster URIs are caused by transfer of the human cold virus. The only virus I know of that can be transferred from species to species is the Rabies Virus. I am pretty sure that the virus that causes an URI in a hamster is a very different one than the one that causes a human cold.
It has been proven that hamsters' immune systems are more similar to human immune systems than alot of other animals. It is possible for a hamster to contract a cold from a human.

"Hamsters can suffer colds and are able to catch colds and flu from humans. Therefore if you have a cold or flu you should keep handling of your hamster to a minimum until you are recovered to avoid spreading your cold to the hamster. Hamsters can also catch a cold if the cage is exposed to draughts or are bathed.

Signs that a hamster has a cold are normally sneezing and runny nose. In more severe cases the hamster may have runny eyes, lethargy, weight loss, refusal to eat and drink or laboured breathing/wheeziness."

Source: http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters/hamster_colds.htm
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote