Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1 
MooseKnocker

Plants turning brown?

I've got a 15Gallon tank with 1 betta 5 neons and 4 ghost shrimp. I hate the look of fake plants so I've put some real plants in it. I've slowly integrated plants taking about a week between adding each plant. I've added Amazon Blades a baby tears rock in it along with anacharis and Rotala Indica. Well my Blades and Anacharis are turning brown.
The Light I have is a LED strip http://www.petco.com/product/118304/...t=OnSiteSearch The fish lady told me it should be a good light for the fish. Is that what would be wrong or is it something else?

Edit: I've got some duckweed too, not much.
MooseKnocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah that light might be good for your fish but for the plants maybe not, I would think that is the problem and since I am new at having live plants and what lights are best lets wait for someone else to answer that knows more than me. I just had my beautiful Hornwort to turn brown and shed its needles and what a mess that was to clean up but my Anacharis is doing fine. I have and use the light that came with my tank which is a 10 watt fluorescent.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Yeah, it may be a lighting issue..what kind of substrate do you have them in? I have a gro light I got at Walmart for $10 and it works great with my plants..you also need at least 12 hours of light a day on them.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 
MooseKnocker

Its gravel, the light is on for at least 12 hours a day if not more. Once a week I gets left off a day do to work and me not being home (Was told it wouldn't hurt). The anacharis that is on the top of the tank is looking good but the few stocks on the floor are not so well.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 
crystalview

Fertilizer for plants

I have a 65g planted tank and I have to fertilize to it daily (specific to fish). Most people who have a tank 5g and up add fertilizer and a hormone that plants need. With a small tank light is important. To much light can form algae. With water changes this can help if algae starts. You have chosen hardy plants so they should not need much.
crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #6 
MooseKnocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalview View Post
I have a 65g planted tank and I have to fertilize to it daily (specific to fish). Most people who have a tank 5g and up add fertilizer and a hormone that plants need. With a small tank light is important. To much light can form algae. With water changes this can help if algae starts. You have chosen hardy plants so they should not need much.
No algae at all...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #7 
starrlamia

that fixture isnt the best for plants, I would assume it is a lighting issue. Ive never heard of amazon blades, is it a sword?
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #8 
MooseKnocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
that fixture isnt the best for plants, I would assume it is a lighting issue. Ive never heard of amazon blades, is it a sword?
yes Swords sorry I always mix that up. I had the light that came with it but it was a nasty yellow so I got that light. If I get a new hood for a florescent strip what would I look into to make sure i get the right light?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #9 
starrlamia

you want low light? you could look for a T8 fixture, it would be fine for low light plants. You can get a 6500-6700k bulb easily for it which will be proper temp for your plants.
something like this would work
http://www.petco.com/product/112178/...ium-Hoods.aspx

or you could just get a strip light. Sometimes you can make cheap setups from home depot stuff, I would think 1 t8 flourescent bulb would be enough for you. If you wanted medium lighting you could get two t8s
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #10 
MooseKnocker

I'm thinking of taking out of my plants and calling it a loss. My baby tears is hardly holding on to the rock anymore and my Moss ball has discolored a lot today alone. I'll take everything out and make sure my levels are going to be alright before doing adding anything.
Anacharis is cheap and I'll just replace what I can with Java Moss after it bounces back.