Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #41 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Perseus did much better then me during his fish in cycle...lol I used Prime conditioner and it detoxifies anything for 48 hours plus I uses the API Master Kit and checked levels everyday sometimes twice a day, keep up with water changes without having to take him out of the tank. I was worried though the entire time and Perseus was like oh no big deal bring on the water changes mom I love them..lol And he does he loved when I would pour the water in he would get right under it so he could swirl around and around...lololol He also loves to follow the gravel vac around so I had to be extra careful and keep an eye on where he was when I used it and still do . I would not do another fish in cycle though just cause of I would be worried the entire time and also I had a big power outage during it that really messed things up and it was like I had to start over and so did the cycle.

So that being said no horror story but yeah do a fishless cycle..lol How is Raz has he eaten yet ?
Aww Perseus sounds like such a character! Cute! Well I'm happy it all worked out. That master kit is awesome. I used it yesterday for the first and it was so easy and accurate. Yay! I need to get a gravel vac though. Do you rec a certain one?

Well he is more active since I turned off the filter. I wonder why? I see him all over the tank and on top a lot more. I tried the garlic dipped pellets and he didn't even look at it. *sigh* I was going to try and buy the New Life Spectrum pellet food you suggested and see if he will eat that. Other then him not eating he looks and acts very healthy.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #42 
Pilot00

Perhaps the filter is either noisy or it creates current?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #43 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The current might have been to strong for him. There are ways to baffle it so its not so strong, I will try and find those for you. Now that the filter is not bothering him maybe he will start eating. I just bought a cheap gravel vac at my local pet shop, they dont have to be fancy all they are is a long piece of rubber tubing and a plastic bigger tube you use to vacuum the gravel with. Mine cost like 7 dollars. They are also great to siphon the water out with. I would not trade mine for anything, such a time saver !!!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #44 
sunlight

If you will do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week you don't need to use the filter. I do it all the time with my bettas. I don't have filters in my tanks and i just do that water changes never had any problems.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #45 
RedRaz

Pilot00 Yeah I believe it bothers him and the current gets him tired therefore he rests at the bottom. Now without the filter he is always by the top. Poor little guy.

Perseusmom Yes that is a great idea I will look into this baffle filter technique. I believe there is a thread here about it. I'm headed to the petstore today to pick up a gravel vac and that New life spectrum food. *fingers crossed he will eat*

sunlight that is good to know. I was really worried about the filter being off but with two water changes a week everything should work out well. My little guy does not like the filter on.

I do have a question. What does the nerite snail eat? I mean I see him all over the tank but is he getting the nutrients he needs? Is there food I can get him as well? I think someone suggested cucumbers and I saw algae wafers at the store. Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #46 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
I do have a question. What does the nerite snail eat? I mean I see him all over the tank but is he getting the nutrients he needs? Is there food I can get him as well? I think someone suggested cucumbers and I saw algae wafers at the store. Any suggestions?
Nerite snails eat algae and dead plant matter. You can supplement their diets with raw cucumber and blanched spinach/lettuce. Algae wafers would probably work too :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #47 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Nerite snails eat algae and dead plant matter. You can supplement their diets with raw cucumber and blanched spinach/lettuce. Algae wafers would probably work too :)
Thanks! I will def try the cucumber. I love them myself. :) I also bought the algae wafers just in case he is picky too.