Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i think the kitten in the bowl is just to show the size. :I a kitten is cramped. a betta would be cramped. kinda thing. idk. :I

yeah, well.... they say goldfish can go in one gallons. what do you expect? they're in it for the money. WE know a .5 gallon is just water change day holding tank. newbies see cute tank they can divide for two. they gotta be educated.
Yeah then there are newbs who refuse to get educated too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #22 
magnum

I have a 1.5G setup for one of my fish and he did fine in it. I believe that if you clean it out, do adequate water changes and look after your fish, they will be fine.

This tank though, is absolutely ridiculous.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #23 
Knitterly

Our Walmart uses those for storing their bettas that they are selling. Often, I'll go in there and find that one has sold but the clerk didn't bother to shift the divider over to the other side so that the remaining fish could use the whole "tank." So I do it. LOL.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah that tank does not provide any good care and nothing needed.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #25 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
I have a 1.5G setup for one of my fish and he did fine in it. I believe that if you clean it out, do adequate water changes and look after your fish, they will be fine.

This tank though, is absolutely ridiculous.
Agreed, so long as your fish tank is at least 1 gallon. Anything less than 1 gallon is dangerous for a betta fish because it gathers ammonia quicker than most people can clean out, deprives the animal of exercise, and cannot be heated at a steady, regular, temperature. 1.5 gallons is fine if you have the time to clean out more often than a cycled 5 gallon would. I used to use a 2.5 gallon and with regular changes my fish was fine. However, I prefer a 5 gallon tank.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #26 
magnum

Quote:
Agreed, so long as your fish tank is at least 1 gallon. Anything less than 1 gallon is dangerous for a betta fish because it gathers ammonia quicker than most people can clean out, deprives the animal of exercise, and cannot be heated at a steady, regular, temperature. 1.5 gallons is fine if you have the time to clean out more often than a cycled 5 gallon would. I used to use a 2.5 gallon and with regular changes my fish was fine. However, I prefer a 5 gallon tank
+1

I agree with you too. I would have a larger tank, but I don't have the time or the space to accommodate one. I'd rather have a nice clean, uncycled 1.5G for my fish to live in than a sparse, dirty and cramped 5G.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A bigger tank needs less water changes. You guys have your way and I respect that I personally would not put either of my 2 Bettas in anything less than 10 gallons.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #28 
NorthernLights

small containers

Well, I agree with the sentiment that 0.5 gallons is not suitable for keeping a betta...but I think small containers like this serve could serve a valuable purpose. After all, sometimes you may need to clean out your betta's tank completely...some fish really hate gravel vacuums, maybe a short salt bath treatment?

I am curious because I was thinking of getting this very container for exactly that kind of purpose.

Thoughts on this?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For putting your Betta in while you are changing his tank should be okay temparly. This product is bad it forgets all long term requirements. It will suffice for a few minites to an hour. It will be good for week long quarrintes with daily water changes if your fish is sick. Aquarium salt is great for sick bettas just not too much.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #30 
katydidmischief

As a permanent home, it's not acceptable, but I think it's fine to use as a holding tank. I know for me, it'd be great because I could put my fish and both my frogs in there to hang out while I do larger changes on the tank.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote