Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 
DanielleB

Marineland 5 Gal Hex Filter Upgrade

Does anyone know if you can upgrade their filter to a slightly bigger Marineland Bio filter. Has anyone with this tank ever put in a bigger marineland filter or a different kind of filter? I want to upgrade the one it comes with as it seems a little week in filtering out ammonia. I do daily water changes to keep it down (don't mind doing this as it is easy in this size tank). But i figure a better filter would help if it is possible. If it can not If it can not be switched out or some other filter put in, would a small sponge filter help the current filter?
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Does your fish struggle against the current?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 
DanielleB

Not at all. My Betta actually likes the waterfall the 2 Julli's are very peacefull, They all seem fine with the waterflow
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would get another Cory same strain. How big is the tank. Both fish you have can handle low oxygen content. I do not see a point in getting a new filter.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #5 
DanielleB

It's a 5 gallon. I didn't want to put anymore fish in as the ammonia goes up ,25 - .5 if I don't do a daily 25% water change. That why I wanted to know about getting a better filter or adding a sponge filter to supplement the regular filter. The Julli's get along very well, are very active and hang out together and get along with very well with the Betta.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oh the tank is severly overstocked then. I would reccomend nothing big just a 10 gallon. 10 is widely considered the miniumum for Betta tank mates.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7 
DanielleB

Yes it is slightly overstocked. I've had many people here told me this can be done as long as I do water changes. I have been doing that the water testing always comes up perfect (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites) after the daily water changes. I may get a bigger tank later on, but for now the 3 are eating normally, active, healthy and doing fine.
The main point of my question was can I get a better filter that would help keep the ammonia down better. I read that the better the filter the better the filtration would be. So can I get a better filter or supplement my existing one with a small sponge filter?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If the ammonia is zero what is the point.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you have any live plants?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 
goldfishyman

Hi,
You don't need a bigger filter you need more surface area for your biological load. Are you using the filter cartridge that came with the Marineland hexagon? If so this is what I would do. Take the cartridge out and cut the filter floss out. Dump the carbon that is inside in the trash. Buy some aquaclear filter foam. Wrap the filter floss around the foam and place it in the filter. Leave the filter floss wrapped around the foam for a few weeks or until your ammonia levels remain consistent. Once your ammonia levels start to stay zero you can remove the old filter floss.

You might still have a lot of space inside the filter box. If so you can add more sponges or you can try adding biochem stars. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-731A-Bio-Chem-Stars-20-Count/dp/B0002568M2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348535737&sr=8-1&keywords=biochem+stars"]Amazon.com: API Bio-Chem Stars, 20-Count: Pet Supplies[/ame]

I used these in a new filter and saw nitrates in less than 2 weeks. BTW I got a couple of aquariums off craigslist the guy threw in a bunch of stuff, one of them was the filter found in the marnineland 5 gallon. I drilled a few small holes in the back of it and pushed some suction cups into the holes and stuck it on the back of my 29 gallon tall tank. I stuffed it with some foam and biochem stars. I bought the missing biowheel. It seems to be doing a good job filtering a bigger tank.
Good luck

Last edited by goldfishyman; 09-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote