Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #1 
schell0385

What IS that StInK!

Whew!
Something is brewing, and I think it smells a little fishy.

My 10 gallon tank is completely set up....but not cycled....it took the help of some of you, and I thank you kindly for that. Yes, filters are a little baffling at times. AND still not sure ? if I completely submerge ? the heater - like the picture on the box - or if it will electrocute me. Well my hair is curly anyway so a little electricity probably will not hurt.

Cycling: I read most of the posts on the board regarding cycling, except for the most important one, http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113823
That tells me not to add more food in a day than I would feed my fish. Well and Howdy!!
I surely put the entire bottle of fish pellets into the tank....OOOPS. Please someone tell me I did not mess up toooo badly. But the SMELL, hooey...you would think the neighbors came home with a bundle of hogs instead of twins. My other neighbors around the pond and down the lane thought my sewer line exploded. Tomorrow I will receive my water test kit (via mail, yep - we got ourselves a real mailman that the donkey has not kicked yet), so I get to play laboratory. I already call myself Frankensteins Bride because of the scar across my neck - but that is another story entirely.

schell
schell0385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #2 
schell0385

I conditioned the water and also put live bacteria into the filter. I read that it is called BB. BB's are what we put in our guns as kids and shot the first mailman....which is why he never came back. Also, ordered some ammonia in case I need it. Do I sound excited? If I do not use it to cycle the fish tank, I can always put it in the venison stew - for a little excitement around the place. But do as I say, not as I do.....or so... I have been told.

Experts please come to my rescue
Do you think I should do a partial water change because of all that fish food (and smell), or should I wait a couple of days (with cotton up my nose) , test the water, then see if I need a partial water change??

I suppose I am a bit impatient. My Betta, 'I See You In There' (isyit), is still in the 1.5 ish gallon bowl that he was brought to me in as a gift. My friend told me he came from Amazon....but what I really think is - she hopped in the Ford, went to Walmart, and bought me a pretty fish. I continue his weekly 2 partial and 1 full water changes, but I know he will be happier once his tank cycles.

I also am going to order quite a few plants...i grow some out back but was told they are the wrong kind....now, I wonder, if I can add the new plants I order into the tank in the next week or so... when they arrive? That is, if the donkey does not kick the postal person..... between now and then.

This is so much fun for me. I hope I do not need to start all over...because of my excitement. When my brother and I were quite young, we went to the pet store (which was usually just our back yard) and bought piranha - we had two of them. Back in those days (eeek not too many years ago) it was still legal to purchase them.....but I do not remember cycling the tank. I think we eventually let them go in the lake in our back yard....we are the reason they made that piranha movie.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #3 
schell0385

Here is a picture of the yellow water.... [IMG]file:///C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
Not sure what to do with all this yellow, except to wait and test it tomorrow. Grins.
My Betta buddy in his fish bowl with an antique tea cup I put in it... I will be glad to get him out of there. I added a soft silk plant for more places for him to hide. If I grin too big, it scares him.

We sit and chat...and I am certainly enjoying his company. He is helping me cope with my grief since my very loyal and dedicated Service Dog - Demi - passed away while laying in my lap on Aug. 8th, after 12 years of devoted hard work.
Now, 'ISYIT' is my best buddy. So I want him to do very well!

I take him to the back yard with me when I go trout fishing. He seems to like it...swims all fast around his tank and his face turns red.

We sure appreciate everyone's help and advice. I was wondering if we have an Acronym's Page? It would be nice to know what 'PP' refers to, and other such shortened forms of words.

Kindness & Wellness to all,
schell
Old 09-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #4 
schell0385

OOPs ....no picture
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

just do a 100% waterchange... gravel vac... and try again...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 
schell0385

I was so hoping you would not say that ;)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 
Pogthefish

FULLY submerge the heater. It an catch fire.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #8 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by schell0385 View Post
I take him to the back yard with me when I go trout fishing. He seems to like it...swims all fast around his tank and his face turns red.
Surely you are kidding.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #9 
schell0385

yes, that was truly a jest.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #10 
sarahspins

Okay, well often things like that don't come across the same when written, and there really wasn't a whole lot to indicate that you were kidding.

There ARE people out there who would do what you just suggested you had done, so it's hard to take someone seriously when they say something like that.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote