Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #21 
DragonFish

I hate to bring up old threads.....but I do have something relevant and possibly helpful to contribute.

With three smaller(2 gallon)tanks and two new small-ish(about 4ish gallon)setups and winter approaching, I knew I would need to start looking at better heaters(my smaller tanks had those little present pad heaters, which worked alright in the summer and had worked well when I lived in Washington....but it gets a lot colder here in the winter)....obviously, after I spotted this thread and went and hunted down these heaters on Ebay, a $30ish total seemed a lot more appealing then the $150ish I would have to spend otherwise and I went ahead and took the chance on these heaters. I ordered about six of these, five for the five tanks I needed to heat and one extra just in case.

The estimated time of delivery was Sep. 25th-Oct. 9th but they actually arrived this past Saturday, the 22nd(which I was very thankful for....it just started to get colder last week).....though things tend to ship very quickly to my house for some reason, so its not unusual for me to get things early.
They weren't exactly packed very well....just all tossed into the bag together wrapped in some bubble-wrap(not individually, just the lot of them wrapped up together), but I suppose I can't ask for much more for free shipping. After carefully opening them, pulling them out, and inspecting each one as I went I was REALLY thankful I had ordered the 6th because the extra did come busted(the glass had cracked and broken a tad, I assume from the poor packing). Thankfully I really only needed 5.

After an overnight soak in a little on gallon container, some thorough rinsing, and carefully testing each one in the separate container I added the first two into my 2-2.5 gallon Drum Bowl and my 2 gallon KK yesterday after a water change. This morning after a nice, chilly night they are holding the temps in both tanks at a nice steady 79 and both fish seem very healthy and active...and I'm sure much more happy now that the temp is holding steady since it'd been dipping down he past several days. xD

One issue I did have though was the cord....its really not very long at all. I had to move my power strips around for them to reach. BUT, they plug into my power strips just fine and there doesn't seem to be any weird electrical stuff going on.

So in conclusion.....these are very good little heaters and they are safe. They appear, from what I can see, to be pretty well made as well, especially for the price....I've bought crappier heaters for twice as much, thats for sure. Probably if they had been packed a little better or I had just ordered them separately all would have come undamaged...because they were packed well enough around the outside, just tossed in all together, which I'm fairly certain is why my one extra came cracked. The power cord is a little short, but if you move your power strip closer or even get a small extension cord thats and easily fixed problem.
All and all....great budget heaters for smaller tanks. I'd recommend them.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #22 
BettaBaited

Speaking of 6$ heaters, I bought a 200 watt from Phillip2002 on aquabid for my 29 gal a month or two ago, & it works like a charm. Packed professionally & even added a free net. So for those of you who keep sororities or other fish, it is totally worth it. I was in petco the other day & the 200 watt heaters are like $50.
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yup the cord is very short, I remedied that with a $1 two prong extension from the 99c store :D and my temperature in the 2.5 has been a steady 80 so far
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #24 
DragonFish

xD Don't you just love when things like this work out? <3
I'm sure if I turned the heater up I could get it up to 80, or even higher, but I'm content with 79. xD Thats generally what I keep everyone at anyway.
I thought about getting a couple of extension cords, still might look at them next time I get a chance to go out...I'll have to mess with the placement of the power strip and see what'll work for all the tanks and whatnot.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #25 
Bettanewbie60

I was looking for one for my 2.5g...perfect, thanks!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote