Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #7381 
cjayBetta

Nice set up - unfortunately the cute name you have given to your little fishy its actually also the name of the disease it has.

Im not an expert on getting rid of the disease but I would suggest an epsome salt treatment and a heater for him.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #7382 
teeneythebetta

Yes, popeye is an illness.. Its hard to tell from your pictures if he actually has it or if thats the normal betta eyes.

Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #7383 
DreamingSmaller

Thanks guys for the info,though we had kept Betta for several years in the past,we had never seen or heard of this. I'll do the ES and water changes,but that's all we can afford to do until I get paid again on the third LOL (not really "LOL'ing",figure of speech ),we thought maybe he'd been squeezed too hard in transit or similar and bulged his eye from it's little socket. Thank you for the heads up.

I'll try and get a better pic if he'll let me,to show it better (it's his right eye).
DreamingSmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #7384 
celie

Smile

I finally got the gravel and tank decorations for Lex. I thought he would be super excited to be in his new home, and start going everywhere. However, he is taking it in very slowly. It's like he's exploring and scared at the new surroundings. He didn't go inside the pineapple till 2 hours later. I hope he's happy. I regret not getting a bigger tank, but this will have to do for a while.

celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #7385 
DreamingSmaller

I like it,cute,reminds me of Spongebob (that's his house -one is never too old to enjoy SB ),and he looks happy in there When you can move up to a bigger tank,they also make/sell Squidward's house,and figurines of several characters as well,that'd make a cool setup,IMHO
Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #7386 
celie

To be honest, I'm not a Spongebob fan. I didn't even want to get it when I realized it was from Spongebob; my friend pointed that out. However, it was too cute to not get it... so I did. This was in Walmart, which didn't have many options. :( Then I went to a PetSmart, which was close to Walmart (didn't know it was even there). I fell in love with all the tank decorations. They had soooo many! That's when I regret not getting the bigger tank.
celie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #7387 
DreamingSmaller

LOL,fan or not,the tank still looks cool,IMO. Don't worry,you can get a bigger tank later,have fun with your new friend for now and let tomorrow take care of itself
Old 09-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #7388 
djembekah

my divided 5 for two VT boys

and Zeddie's bachelor pad, also 5 gallons

Sorry the divided pic is so blurry!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #7389 
Persistence

Finished this DIY project last Sunday. :)
Attached Images

Persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #7390 
LionCalie

Wow, very creative! How many gallons is that?

Just some friendly suggestions... I notice you aren't using a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and are happiest when their water is around 76 F - 82 F. You will need to purchase a aquarium thermometer to monitor the temps, but they are cheap. Unless the ambient air temperature is constant 80 F where your Betta is kept, then his tank isn't warm enough.

Also, I'm sure Mr. Betta would enjoy having some plants and a hiding spot he can retreat to.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, feelin'likeavandal, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank