Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #1 
katydidmischief

Unlucky with Snails?

I picked up two freshwater snails from the LFS about two weeks ago--one died on the way home, one died the next day. I waited, did a water change, made sure to use the API freshwater master kit a few times, and went to pick up 2 blue mystery snails from Petsmart. They were quarantined then moved to my ten gallon last night, on Michael's side, and were wandering the tank when I went to bed, this morning, both are dead.

Everything tests okay; the ten gallon has two bettas (divided tank) and 2 ADFs and is getting a 25% change twice a week, plus a 50%-75% once a week. I use stress coat+ and IAL, I also have driftwood in both sides. The tank is a nice tea color, 80 degrees, and filtered. I added algea tabs to supplement whatever was already in the tank as well as cucumber.

Is there something I am doing or have done that is killing the poor little dudes? I'm concerned because I also have a rubber-lip pleco in QT that I was planning to add to my other tank temporarily (currently planning a 20L for after the holidays) but as both have the same treated water...
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #2 
SpookyTooth

I don't know as though it would kill them but did you measure the pH of your water? If you're using IAL it's possible that the snail shells are being eroded due to acidic water, though I thought this would take time and wouldn't kill the animals. To be honest it sounds like a bad bunch from the store. Did you acclimatize them?
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #3 
katydidmischief

Yes to both. The pH in my tank is 7.6 and I had them in a petsmart cup and acclimatized them over an hour. They were climbing all over during the process.

Is it possible that it's something in my pipes? My water is not extremely hard but it's not exactly perfect (well water).
Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth

It could well be. Are you able to get the water tested for copper at all? Copper in small doses is deadly to inverts and if that is present then it would certainly cause you problems, though I believe that StresCoat+ helps with this I could be mistaken. You should be able to buy copper tests or ask a local pet store if they can do one for you but I don't honestly know the safe levels... otherwise I'm not sure.

I hope we can figure it out and that it is just a bad batch at the pet store, it sounds like you're doing an absolutely wonderful job with your fish so I don't know why snails couldn't thrive too.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 
katydidmischief

Thank you for your help, Spooky. I'll definitely look into testing for copper!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 
babystarz

Were they mystery snails both times? Every time I've bought mystery snails from the pet store, they're all dead within 24 hours. I have multiple species of snails in my tanks and the rest all do fine, but the mystery snails can't handle it. I have no idea why. I just wanted to share because it might not be an issue with your water quality - I'd try a different species of snail if you want one though.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 
katydidmischief

Yup, I had Ivory Mystery snails first and then blue ones. Maybe I'll try another species if I can't figure out the issue. Thank you, babystarz.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #8 
keeperofthezoo

I went through this these past few weeks, I wound up buying RO water at the local store, and since I have copper pipes, I bought Seachem copper remover and carbon and added it to my filter. Added my snails and they didn't die, then I slowly did water changes from my house, and they are doing fine.
keeperofthezoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #9 
katydidmischief

The pleco died too, but he'd come to me with some issue (his upper "lip" had been blood red); I'm still very concerned about the water. My father agreed that it is likely to be our water since we have minimal copper pipes (Dad is a plumber and has been slowly replacing them over the years) and I've been diligent about running the water for several minutes before treating and filling the tanks with it. I'll be investing in a testing kit and some cuprisorb and perhaps in a few weeks, I'll try again with some MTS. Thank you for the help.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #10 
SpookyTooth

Malaysian trumpet snails are very hardy in my opinion and experience, they're also very cute (especially the tiny tiny babies!). Good luck!