Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #21 
RedRaz

Would it be okay to ask a snail question here? I think something is wrong with my snail. :(
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

sure...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #23 
RedRaz

I thought I would ask first. ;) Well I noticed my nerite snail has a worn spot on the top of his shell. Can this mean he isn't getting enough calcium? I am feeding him those Algae wafers. Not sure if he is eating them though.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #24 
wallywestisthebest333

I really do like pond snails but they tended to reproduce really quickly in my tanks even when I was strict about water changes and made sure not to overfeed. They're a strain on the bioload and it was just kind of stressful. :[
I named my biggest one Larry when I had my 2.5 gallon jar. he was cool and fun and he lasted a really long time.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
I thought I would ask first. ;) Well I noticed my nerite snail has a worn spot on the top of his shell. Can this mean he isn't getting enough calcium? I am feeding him those Algae wafers. Not sure if he is eating them though.

to provide some calcium, there is a product called calciumclay... usually for shrimps. Also works for snails..
What is the PH of your water? you can also clean some cuttle bones (boil it or something) and put a small piece in the tank.
My nerites never touched thise algae wafers.. you can try a blanched spinach or some other veggies. make sure to take them out after 24 hours.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

I have a question as well... Can I put a nerite snail in a 3.5 gallon with Lebron? It's cycled but the bioload... I don't want an ammonia spike. :\
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I have a question as well... Can I put a nerite snail in a 3.5 gallon with Lebron? It's cycled but the bioload... I don't want an ammonia spike. :\
Nerite snails have a relatively small bioload...despite their size. They're not at all eat and poop XD

I would say it's ok, especially if you have a plant in there...
but test the water every few days just to make sure the params are on track. O wouldn't put any other snails in there though :D
you can get theme fairly small at petco :)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #28 
Laki

My two nerites are eat and poop! Milly made it to the divider and is cleaning the algae but pooping all over it. I'm doing a major scrub of the tank tonight.
Question, I keep my pond snails quarentined in a butter container. If I dropped in like 2 pond snails and then my assassins (who don't eat snails anyway and it drives me crazy) ... My question is... Should I do that?
I feel bad that my pond snails are in a dark tub. I don't overfeed my bettas but with all the algae and mess I'm seriously considering them. I just don't want their egg sacs on everything. I hate their egg sacs.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

OK, thank you!! But he ate 4 ghost shrimps under 2 weeks... Does the snail have a smaller chance of survival than the shrimp? I need a link to there care.. Lol.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #30 
Laki

Snails are pretty safe if they're big. Pond snails and even ramshorns can be picked on for their size. And once a hungry betta can get their meat they can eat them (I lost many snails to my hungry hippos) but nerites are completely safe since they have like all shell and nothing sticking out (their eyes just barely) and as long as they have strong shells they're good. My bettas ignored the nerites, just kind of looked at them. They move slowly enough that the bettas don't want to chase them. But my assassins and ponds were picked on by bettas. (Milton wasn't until I switched him to Lude's side)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote