Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #11 
zaylia

It is him! :) I should put together an album, I have a few more pics!

It is his first bubble nest :):) I should take a pic!!!

Your Betta is beautiful! I almost got one similar!
zaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #12 
zaylia

So, I cleaned out his bowl. He almost went into the jar, but wouldn't. I tried to get him in it myself, but had to stop he was running away too much. I had to use a net :( But he looks no different, and is acting the exact same as before. So it's all good :)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #13 
DragonFish

I've always found that scooping them right into the container is a little less stressful then the whole net out-of-the-water transfer every week, but it certainly takes practice! It'll take a few cleanings, but eventually you'll learn how to catch him unawares and scoop him right up into the container. ;) Keep trying!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #14 
BettaGirl88

Bettas are low maintance. I had my bettas in 1 gallons and if you look at my fish you'll see the perfect condition they're in as proof. I did move 2 of my bettas in a 10 gallon with a divider just recently. But here's how I maintained they're tank.

Even though you're betta is in a 1 gallon bowl, it is actually bad for them to do frequent water changes. Why? Because like other fish, they need time to build they're own ecosystem in the habitat. By consistently taking that away from them, not only are you destroying the biological ecosystem they are trying to build, but you are stressing out your betta. I recommend changing his water once a week. You would transfer him into the cup you bought him in with some of his old water from the bowl. DO NOT USE A NET! It can damage they're fins and destroy their slimecoat. They are sensitive fish. After cleaning out his bowl, add the proper dosage of water conditioner to dechlorinate the water. Do not fill up the bowl, cause you'll be adding him with some of his old water back into the bowl. Let him bob in the cup inside the bowl so he can get used to the water temperature. After about 15 minutes, let him back in the bowl. The old water will improve the water and may continue his ecosystem.

:)
BettaGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl88 View Post
Bettas are low maintance. I had my bettas in 1 gallons and if you look at my fish you'll see the perfect condition they're in as proof. I did move 2 of my bettas in a 10 gallon with a divider just recently. But here's how I maintained they're tank.

Even though you're betta is in a 1 gallon bowl, it is actually bad for them to do frequent water changes. Why? Because like other fish, they need time to build they're own ecosystem in the habitat. By consistently taking that away from them, not only are you destroying the biological ecosystem they are trying to build, but you are stressing out your betta. I recommend changing his water once a week. You would transfer him into the cup you bought him in with some of his old water from the bowl. DO NOT USE A NET! It can damage they're fins and destroy their slimecoat. They are sensitive fish. After cleaning out his bowl, add the proper dosage of water conditioner to dechlorinate the water. Do not fill up the bowl, cause you'll be adding him with some of his old water back into the bowl. Let him bob in the cup inside the bowl so he can get used to the water temperature. After about 15 minutes, let him back in the bowl. The old water will improve the water and may continue his ecosystem.

:)
.....I'm a little confused about exactly what you are trying to say here about a biological ecosystem. Are you referring to something like the Nitrogen Cycle and the establishment of beneficial bacteria? Or are you referring to something like a miniature NPT where the live plants would take care of the harmful waste-chemicals that the fish produces?
Something like that isn't going to establish in and unfiltered 1 gallon bowl with artificial plants and decorations.....frequent water changes, like I described, ARE required in order to keep the environment suitable and harmful chemicals from building up and causing harm to/killing the fish in a setup like the one the OP has.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #16 
zaylia

Betta girl- Sadly I don't have the cup. The store didnt have them. What I did was put 2 litres of water in a big bowl. Conditioned it. 1 litre in another dish, conditioned it. Then get the fish, put him in a jar with his old water. put that har into the 1 litre . Then wait some times, get some new water in the jar while some old comes out. let it sit for a bit, pour 2 litres into bowl, then take the jar, pour him into the 2 litres. then i pour the 1 litre. then i conditon some water so there isnt like 4 or 5 inches no water.

Dragonfish- Yeah a hope it works out next time. It was so close, he stuck his head in. I waited, later put his head in, i tried to move slowly and get him, but he squired and ran. then tried to subly scoop him but he went into the sides of the bowl and because of the shape he would have space to get away. maybe he will gain more trust of me to swim in :)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #17 
DragonFish

I don't think I've ever had a fish that knowingly swam into the cup, no matter how long I had them or how much they trusted me, lol. Its best to catch him unawares....distract him with wiggling your finger on the side of the bowl or at the top of the water with one hand, then slowly, but steadily, come in behind him with the cup and quickly scoop him up before he has time to register what happened, lol. It takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, your 100% water changes will go much more smoothly, quickly, and less stressful on your fish. ;)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #18 
zaylia

I think he is too smart lol. But I will try! :)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #19 
schell0385

hi,

my new Betta was given to me in a 1.5 gallon bowl. Now I am cycling a 10 gallon tank for him.....in the meantime, I am performing the water changes that the experienced folks recommend, just like DragonFish has said to do. I too get anxious for my buddy when I change his water. Lol - I need to have stress coat for myself....maybe I can add some to MY drinking water - laughing.

I will be happy when my new tank is cycled and my friend has plenty of hiding places, live plants, and a healthy eco-system.

Be well,
schell
schell0385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #20 
zaylia

I got him in the jar :) Didn't take too much this time, just had to anticipate his movements.

schell, that sounds so great! and yes stresful! i think our stress coats are booze, but if you dont drink like myself then herbal tea :) Have fun with your new Betta!