Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Fustrations

My frustration is not that I have too many snails...I don't know if I have enough Malaysian Trumpet Snails for my tank with sand substrate or my NPT that just keeps looking like it's only an attempt at an NPT. I know the snails are usually in the substrate during the day, but mine are staying close to the top of the substrate and are barely moving. Is something wrong with them? They were moving like crazy before, but have ceased their activity since being in both tanks and I even made sure that they were conditioned to the water. I even seem to still be having problems with those gas pockets in the NPT tank especially. I'm not sure the snails are doing what they are supposed to do. Parameters were perfectly fine when I placed them in there. Since placing them in the sand substrate tank a couple plants seem to be having leaves dying off fast. Poked the sand and there is no gas pockets. I guess I am mainly just venting.....might give up on my NPT and switch to something else. Have no clue what to do about my sand substrate aquarium....I also had a bad day at work, so I really just don't know how to deal with this.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

How's the PH?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 
Hopeseeker

PH usually stays the same: 7.4 with the High Range test and 7.6 with the normal test. Will retest after work.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its normal for the substrate to burp on occasion-it not a bad thing unless it smells like rotten eggs.....

You probable have a lot more MTS in the tank than you think-they are livebearers and drop tiny MTS's that will burrow in the substrate. Take a peak an hour or so after lights out using a flashlight....you might be surprised at what you see....

As for the plants dropping leaves-that could be a normal shed or limited light to the plant-it is the lower leaves that are dropping? How long are the light on, kelvin and age of bulbs-also what specie of plant is dropping its leaves.....

Give them some more time.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote