Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1 
MRxCHAOS

tank cycle help!!??

hi i just started a fishless cycle and i have a 10 gallon tank. i started by collecting about 8 gallons of tap water witch i treated with tetra betta safe water conditioner. and i got 2 gallons of spring water plus i added water from my current 2 gallon betta tank! i have my filter and my heater and air all set up and started everything up and did a ammonia, nitrate, nitrite,chlorine, hardness, ph, alkalinity.i also added jacks bio-boost. but when i did the test it siad all my levels were perfect for my fish why is this i thought i was suposed to have un safe levles of nitrite and nitrate and ammonia???? plz help
MRxCHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #2 
XxXMermaidzXxX

Nitrate and ammonia are bad for your fish. Ammonia and nitrate could kill you get your fish real sick. Its good that every things perfect for your fish! Test your tank once a month and NEVER EVER mix bettas and goldfish together or else, your betta will get serious ammonia and they will die.
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
sarahspins

If you haven't done anything to add ammonia to your water (to start the cycle), your tests SHOULD all read as safe, but if you were to put a fish in there it would suddenly be UNsafe because there is no means of converting harmful ammonia into something less harmful (nitrites -> nitrates).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 
MRxCHAOS

tank you

but one thing i don't understand is how everything was oki in my 2 1/2 gallon tank that didn't have a filter was doing just fine with a water 25% to 30% water change every week but i need this special ecosystem for a bigger tank?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What are you using to test the levels with ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
MRxCHAOS

the $30 tetra easy strip pack
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #7 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxCHAOS View Post
but one thing i don't understand is how everything was oki in my 2 1/2 gallon tank that didn't have a filter was doing just fine with a water 25% to 30% water change every week but i need this special ecosystem for a bigger tank?
Well, really it comes down to convenience.. it's more convenient to have to change less volume of water less often, which is the advantage you get with a cycled tank.

Technically with an uncycled tank you should be doing a 50% and 100% water change each week otherwise ammonia will build up to dangerous levels. Those water changes are reasonable with a 2.5 gallon but it's a lot of extra work with a 10 gallon or larger.

Last edited by sarahspins; 09-28-2012 at 10:13 PM.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

do you have plants or algae?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 
LionCalie

I don't think that you are fully understanding the Nitrogen cycle. Don't worry though, it can be a very confusing in the beginning.

I recommend you read this guide, it really simplifies the whole process.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=98795
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote