Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #131 
RedRaz

Gill Flukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Since I have never dealt with flukes, I do have a question - can a fluke be a black "strand" (short strand" on a gill or faceplate? Just curious because of my own boy :)

As for Razz he is looking better which is good. Recovery and fighting off parasites is always hard, but Bettas are fighters
I found a picture online that shows what gill flukes looks like. It's the best pic I could find. Here are some symptoms I found on another forum.

1) Fish twitching the head side to side once in a while like if wanted to shake something off his head.

2) Discolored blotches of skin (Most people think this is velvet or some bacterial infection and misdiagnose it with antibiotics)

3) Frayed fins or tail.

4) Sudden loss of appetite.

5) Cloudy eye(s)

6) Rapid breathing
Attached Images

RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #132 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Small brownish looking -normal. Now since you don't have gravel it will be easier for you to see so watch for poo. And like you wrote that you going to buy a few different med's so buy the one that i wrote to you in my private message (Sakura recommendations) and the one that Sena said in your post that will treat internal and external.

Did you put 2tsp today? If it what we think flukes (ext parasites 2 tsp is better)
Did you see him darting and trying to rub his body?
And remember to dry out everything like i wrote for you that if he has those flukes they will die. I see you have silk plants in his tank make sure you rinse those in hot water and dry it out.
Oh good luck i wish your lucky guy will get better with your great help. I wish he will eat so he can fight the disease and make his immune system stronger.
Yeah he has gill flukes. I looked at all the symptoms and he has all of them. Poor thing. I'm using 2 tsp of AQ salt. I bought the Hikari Prazipro from Amazon so as soon as i get it I will add it. I bought this Terta Lifeguard all-in-one treatment tablets from petco in the mean time. You think i should try it until his meds get here? I have to set up his regular tank with filter going though in order to use it. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #133 
ANHEL123

Sena i text ed you and Sakura8 at the same time didn't know who will response first. So yesterday you put your advice and then i talk to Sakure. I think she knows better about flukes. You can sand her pm , she is very nice and always glad to help, just like you. So i would suggest to text her or just make another post about flukes.

Now i need advice. I was helping Atena on this forum about 4 month ago with external parasites. Her fish was treated right away though so it was not severely damaged. And we did salt first then she did medications. So Sena what do you think should we switch to medications or continue with salt for whole course of it and increasing up to 3 tsp since his scales better.
Do you have idea ?
I also going to text Sakura to help make decision.

No filter needed while you treat him. I would take it out actually. You don't need to use filter while you treating him with medications or salt.

Before we make decision we need to know how he doing. You wrote his scales better? Less raised? Still responsive?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #134 
RedRaz

ANHEL123 Okay gotcha. I wanted to make sure about the filter because the fish guy at petco told me I need it. *lol* I know why do I even listen to them. Well Raz is more responsive, swimming around but stays at bottom or lays on top of the heater and will not eat. Scales are still raise just not as bad. He is breathing rapidly though which I suspect is the flukes causing this. His fins have more color but body is still pale.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #135 
ANHEL123

I just text Sakura to take a look at your thread or tell me what to do. I am leaving and will be back at 10 or 10.30 pm.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #136 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I just text Sakura to take a look at your thread or tell me what to do. I am leaving and will be back at 10 or 10.30 pm.
Thank you again for your help! Have a great night.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #137 
Sakura8

Hi Red Raz and welcome to the forum. Anhel said your fish seems to be improving using salt? If that is the case, I would definitely continue to use the salt and daily water changes for the full 14 days. The key to this approach is the water changes, which remove the parasites from the water before they can reattach or multiply. If at the end of the 14 days, he's still showing some symptoms then I would suggest switching him to a medication to finish off those bloodsuckers once and for all.

For now, I would wait to see how a few more days of salt work before trying the Lifeguard tabs. If the salt can do the job then the fewer meds we have to use the better.

Good luck with him. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #138 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Red Raz and welcome to the forum. Anhel said your fish seems to be improving using salt? If that is the case, I would definitely continue to use the salt and daily water changes for the full 14 days. The key to this approach is the water changes, which remove the parasites from the water before they can reattach or multiply. If at the end of the 14 days, he's still showing some symptoms then I would suggest switching him to a medication to finish off those bloodsuckers once and for all.

For now, I would wait to see how a few more days of salt work before trying the Lifeguard tabs. If the salt can do the job then the fewer meds we have to use the better.

Good luck with him. :)
That sounds like a wonderful idea Sakura! Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. I hope he gets in tip top shape soon. Then maybe he will actually eat something. I might cry *joyful tears* if he does. *fingers crossed*
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #139 
Sakura8

I'm definitely rooting for him. :) You're giving him great care and Anhel has done a fantastic job helping you. Raz has a great medical staff, haha.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #140 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm definitely rooting for him. :) You're giving him great care and Anhel has done a fantastic job helping you. Raz has a great medical staff, haha.
Yes great medical advice indeed! *hugs* to you all! Anhel has been AWESOME!