Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #1 
jfthome

Food stuck to my Betta

I do not know how this happened after 3 months of no problems, but this morning I fed my Neon Tertras their ground up flakes as I always have, with the filter off, but this time my Betta swam right through the cloud of food and it is stuck all over him! He does not like it one bit. He keeps swimming quickly I imagine to try and dislodge the debris from his scales but it is stuck on there real good. Will the food just dissolve after a day or so? I am so worried. He has been such a happy fish up until now. :(
jfthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
XxXMermaidzXxX

Hmmmmmm. Give your betta a salt bath. See what that can do! Use epsom salt or aquarim salt and let in swim around in there for 5 mins only use a tea spoon of salt with new 100% clean water. If your betta turns upside down or swims sidways rinse him with so cold water and put him back in his tank.
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxXMermaidzXxX View Post
Hmmmmmm. Give your betta a salt bath. See what that can do! Use epsom salt or aquarim salt and let in swim around in there for 5 mins only use a tea spoon of salt with new 100% clean water. If your betta turns upside down or swims sidways rinse him with so cold water and put him back in his tank.
Do not ever rinse your fish in cold water, the temperature shock could kill him. There is also no need to use salt on him, as he's not sick. The flakes should disintegrate in a day or two, so I really wouldn't do anything to him. It will just add un-needed stress to an already frustrating situation for him.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #4 
jfthome

I am worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Do not ever rinse your fish in cold water, the temperature shock could kill him. There is also no need to use salt on him, as he's not sick. The flakes should disintegrate in a day or two, so I really wouldn't do anything to him. It will just add un-needed stress to an already frustrating situation for him.

Before this happened he was quite active now all he does is perch on top of the filter output valve or rest against the intake vent. The only time he moves is to streak across the tank seemingly to dislodge the debris from his scales. :(
jfthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 
babystarz

Those are some sticky flakes :/ Are there some soft plants in the tank for him to rub against? I worry that he might start rubbing himself on something that could hurt him to try to get them off.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote