Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
ginchinsing

Whiteseam Fighter and Splendens?

I'm getting a free 100 gallon tank and was thinking about upgrading my 20 gallon long betta tank after I move. Obviously, six bettas and 15 ghost shrimp will not be enough to make the larger tank look full, so I was messing around with Aqadvisor and saw an interesting fish - the Whiteseam Fighter.

I know this is still a betta species, but has anyone kept them with Splendens? I was hoping to round my numbers up to 10 each and add Dario dario and Black Ruby Barbs, along with more ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp, and assassin snails. The tank will be heavily planted with both real and fake (until the real grow in).

Any input?
ginchinsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off given the chance an assassin snail will eat shrimp. Betta splendens have been bred for centuries to fight. Sounds like the barbs will chew there fins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 
SDragon

I assume you are doing a betta sorority? Well I'd not really think they will fight all that much, if you have ten to spread out the aggression.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some females are too aggressive heave all the parts of my warning.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 
Lizzie the Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
First off given the chance an assassin snail will eat shrimp. Betta splendens have been bred for centuries to fight. Sounds like the barbs will chew there fins.
Assasin snails will only eat they shrimp if they are dying or dead, from what I've heard. I also have heard that barbs are one of the fish that'll nip fins

Anyway, there is a possibility that both species may view each other as the same, but I doubt. You were saying 10 whiteseam fighter females and 10 splenden females, right?

That may work, but always have a back up plan if they are too agressive with each other.

As Chocolate Betta said, some splenden females just won't do in a sorority. The ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp, and the assassin snails will work.

Good luck!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #6 
ginchinsing

The tank will eventually be heavily planted, so I'm hoping that will help. The current six betta females I have barely chase each other and are now completely ignoring the shrimp. I think I'm just lucky when picking out females. Lol

I've never had anything other than Splendens, so I'm unsure of how other betta species will react. I was planning on trying to get only females and will have a 75 gallon available as extra.

I always forget that barbs are nippers. I was just looking for something other than bettas to fill out the tank, so any other ideas are welcome.

I've been getting really lucky with tanks all of a sudden. I am buying a 422 gallon for my turtles on Monday. I am getting a free 100 gallon this week as well. So, the turtles are going into the 422. The Oscar and the pleco are staying in the 75 and I'm searching for a 200 to upgrade them. The bettas are moving to the 100 gallon because I want to grow out plants for the turtles to eat/kill and the Oscar wouldn't let the plants grow. All this will free up the 20 gallon long until I find the 200 gallon. Then I will have the 75 gallon available as well.

In short, there will be tanks everywhere!

I don't really mind having only Splendens, but I really do like the Whiteseam's appearance. If I have to wait until all the Splendens die in 2-10 years, I can.
ginchinsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Betta albimarginata are extremely peaceful, even the males. I used to keep a large group of them and never saw any aggression. You may get away with just having some female albimarginata with a splenden, but the males can get very bright during courtship and there may be fighting.

They can be quite shy so if you have a lot of activity or particularly aggressive fish in your tank you might not see them. They are also extremely prolific, with males sometimes being pushed to the brink of starvation by the females.

Albimarginata are a good beginner species if you want to dabble in something other than splendens. Mine were never particularly fussy and they are a great little fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote