Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #1 
RedRaz

How much vinegar do I use to clean out my tank?

Hello everyone! My sweet boy Raz has gill flukes so I have in a 1 gal hospital tank getting treatment. I was wondering how do I clean out his regular 2.5 gal tank? I googled this and found that I should use 1 cup of distilled white vinegar per gal of water. Is this right? Can I use it on the gravel as well? Or should I just get new gravel? I also have live plants so can those be saved or is it safer to just get rid of them? I was thinking of if the measurements are correct running my tank with filter on for 24 hours to circulate the vinegar and water throughout the tank. What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

for normal changes, just hot water will kill off any remaining parasites
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
for normal changes, just hot water will kill off any remaining parasites
REALLY!? Wow that is so much more easier. lol! Now what do I do with this vinegar. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's a parasite. lol, just pour boiling water in everything and quarantine the plants.
but if you want to be extra cautious you can bleach...and throw away the plants...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
it's a parasite. lol, just pour boiling water in everything and quarantine the plants.
but if you want to be extra cautious you can bleach...and throw away the plants...
I have to admit the whole parasite *flukes* give me the creeps. lol! I think I shall throw out the plants. Just to put my mind at ease. I might go with the boiled water technique. Another person suggested I put in direct sunlight for a day after I clean it. I might do both just in case. Those Flukes will be toasted! Muahahahahaha!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
I have to admit the whole parasite *flukes* give me the creeps. lol! I think I shall throw out the plants. Just to put my mind at ease. I might go with the boiled water technique. Another person suggested I put in direct sunlight for a day after I clean it. I might do both just in case. Those Flukes will be toasted! Muahahahahaha!
lol yes, natural sunlight uv is a very good sterilization method... lettin nature do its work :)