Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 
regenfliege

Changed Cas's water, now he is acting strange.

I've had my betta Castiel for a while now, and I've done full and partial water changes as often as needed. Nothing has ever happened before.
But last night I did a partial water change and this morning he is just laying at the bottom of the tank, only coming up for air. I didn't change anything that I've done before. (Aging the water, de-clorinating it, same temp. slowly adding etc) I'm really worried that there was something in the water and now he's just lifeless. At first he was swimming around like crazy when I first changed the water, now he's staying at the bottom.
The water temp is the same as always (78/79 degrees) and I've changed nothing but the water. Any ideas? It breaks my heart to see him like this, he's usually such a goofball.
regenfliege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Is it heated with a heater temp flunctiotations affect that.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Did you remember to condition the water?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

The water is conditioned and the OP said the water is always kept 78F/79F.
You should maybe test the water. Or maybe the tank as something in it that affected him?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thanks Lebron did not see that he was able to the tell the temp did not change at night.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
regenfliege

I'm heading out to buy a test kit, so we'll see what I find. for now I have him my hospital tank, which has old water in it. He has perked up a bit (thankfully).
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
regenfliege

Yes, I ALWAYS condition the water. We have a high level of chlorine in our local water so I test the levels during every water change, as well as the pH. Both were fine in the new water, and were fine when I tested the water this morning.
What other kits should I get? I have chlorine, pH, and amonia kits.

So far Cas has perked up a bit more, he is moving around a little. :( My poor baby.
I changed my goldfish's water at the same time, with water from the same tap, and he is fine. (Don't know if that means anything, but hey it might)

Last edited by regenfliege; 09-30-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do you think the temp changes at night?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I have found that anytime I see a behavior change-especially after a water change....To make another partial water change and double dosing the dechlorinator will help. Also, double check the temp with an independent thermometer and look at the heater itself for damage since a stray volt can also cause odd behaviors.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #10 
regenfliege

Tested the tank water, everything was normal so I tested the water from the tap as well. Our tap water jumped from hard (which he's used to) to very soft, probably due to all the rain we have been getting, and it shocked him. Totally my fault, I should've known that will all the rain the rain it would change. I'm working on easing him back into the main tank. I will be testing the hardness of the tap water now, especially as winter (and ice) come closer.

~UPDATE~ Cas is doing so much better! He is swimming around and greeting me much more now. XD

Tags
acting strange, lifeless, sick, water change