Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #11 
Firefly85

maybe you could calmly talk to your mom and tell her you are trying to be mature and responsible by providing minimal adequate care for the fish, and that when she has time if she could please read basic betta care info here then maybe she would understand. Try and ask her nicely when she isn't too busy, and don't argue because i may just make things worse. be polite, and explain to her how you are excited to have the responsibility but want to do what is right for the fish.
good luck.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #12 
LionCalie

Lots of great information given, but I feel the need to respond to the below post. I apologize that it's a bit off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Wow...walmart is FULL of winners who never finished high school. I don't think someone who has a fifth grade education can be trusted on fish. A lot of people who work at walmart are teens or people who couldn't get hired anywhere else. They can't be considered the know it all of anything, in fact they work their because they don't know much and the fish at walmart are always sick and dying...shows how good they are.
Please don't judge people so harshly just by their education level, age, or physical appearance.

I dropped out of High School during my Senior year. Most people cannot tell just by talking to me. I was so close to graduating, it really is a shame. You see, at the time I was really messed up emotionally and mentally. I was purposely harming myself and even became suicidal. My therapist at the time had me committed to a mental hospital. It saved my life because there I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and put on medication. I hope to someday get my GED, but for now my goal is getting through each day and progressing forward.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wish you the best. I think he meant people who were under qualified even for McDonald's that had zero intelligence. Hope you get your GED. I know part of what your going through. I am depressed too. My doctor threatened to send me to a hospital if I lose any more weight.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Thank you.

I have another question.

What heater is best for a small tank?
dont know if this has been answered , but usually a 25w adjustable.
you can also get the 50w adjustable hagen elite heater from amazon, since it's the same size as the hagen elite 25w but cheaper.

a higher wattage just means electrical consumption overkill , temperature will be consistant.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #15 
DiiQue

yeah the 25w hagen was what i purchased for my 1.5g and it worked like a champ. just make sure that whatever heater you do decide on is adjustable (has the knob so it turns off when it reaches the desired setting).. not one of those "pre-programmed/configured" units as I've read a lot of people having temp issues with them when used in small tanks like what you have.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #16 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Wow...walmart is FULL of winners who never finished high school. I don't think someone who has a fifth grade education can be trusted on fish. A lot of people who work at walmart are teens or people who couldn't get hired anywhere else. They can't be considered the know it all of anything
Understandably you're upset, but was the first part really necessary? It just comes off as really rude imo...:/

Anyway, I'd agree that Walmart isn't likely the best place to get pet advice...I don't think they hire people specifically for their pet section? Someone can correct me on this, but usually I just anyone who works there at the pet section. In other words, they're not specifically trained/knowledgeable about pet care. You can try explainign that to your om.

One good thing they sell at Walmart are those preset tetra heaters. You can't adjust them, but for a 1.5 gal it'll keep the water at a nice warm temperature and they're quite reliable & cheap!

Anyway, as long as you keep up the water changes and get him a heater I'm sure he'll perk up in no time....:)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #17 
speeddemonbk

I had the bright idea to let my sister pick out a betta and bring it to me. First she bought an expensive crown tail, then I realized it was extremely sick and beat up (fresh in from Thailand). It had a major case of fin rot, along with being paralyzed. I cured the fin rot with a water change, and some fin rot drops (be VERY careful that you use the right amount otherwise you'll kill them) and by adding aq. salt. Change the water every few days for a week or two and the fin rot should heal up.
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #18 
Hershey

Thank you all.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #19 
OrangeAugust

Also, when you get a heater make sure you get a thermometer, too. They're pretty cheap. But it's good to be able to monitor the water temp in case your heater malfunctions. A thermometer is also helpful when you do a water change to make sure the new water you're replacing is about the same temp as the water you removed.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #20 
whiskandbowl

These are the two heaters I have for my 2/2.5gal hospital tanks:

Hagen Elite Adjustable
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...s=tetra+heater

Tetra Preset
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26447-Su...s=tetra+heater

The Elite is much better IMO, the Tetra tends to swing temps a bit. The Elite is very consistent.

Your mother doesn't seem very supportive of your new found fish hobby. I don't know how you are telling her that she's wrong but don't just say it like that "No way you are totally wrong" say it like "the water needs to be changed x times a week, or poisonous ammonia will build up and kill the fish. I know the lady at WalMart said different, but after talking to some experienced betta owners, I know she was mistaken."

Perhaps even print off this thread to show her what others are saying. If the water is so unclean it's cloudy, its too dirty

Oh and OT but WalMart wouldn't hire me....I had a 3.0gpa in high school, high SAT scores, yadda yadda yadda. Apparently I failed their personality test... that's the problem with automated applications. No personality
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, stuck, what should i do