Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #1 
NorthernLights

Question CongaRoc versus Others

Hello all!

Recently in some LFS I have seen a different brand of gravel called CongaRoc, which claims to be an exceptionally clean aquarium gravel. It does come in many colors, and from what I understand it is epoxy-free. I have found very little information online about this gravel (it's similar in price to Top Fin, et al), but it sounds more natural and thus seems to me to be a better idea for the fish. Does anyone here have experience with CongaRoc?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard too colorful gravel is bad for fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I have heard too colorful gravel is bad for fish.
I've never heard of this before. Is it because of the dyes? Where'd you hear this from?

Sorry OP, I've never heard of that brand. I'm not sure what they mean by exceptionally clean though. As in, you don't need to wash it before you p-ut it in your tank?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

CongaRoc

Yes, the package claims it has been so throughly pre-washed that it does not need to be washed before you put it in the tank. Obviously, I'd wash it first anyway...

The claim I read is that epoxy coating gravel makes it inert so that it will not alter the water quality. One of my friends with a PhD in Chemistry tells me that epoxy tends to have a lot of leftover chemicals in it that make the claims of inertness VERY unlikely.

How have folks on here found epoxy coated vs. non-coated gravels?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote