Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #1 
agunn1231

new tank lid

So, currently i have a really makeshift lid, that i know will get the job done for keeping a betta in the tank, and still allows room for air, as its kind of a mesh lid that should be on a reptile tank, but i took some tools to it so it would fit my fish tank anf allow a heater and filter. But i think i will need to get a regular lid down the road, im not in any hurry at the moment as im cycling my tank. But what should i look for in a lid (aside from an opening for my filter and heater)?
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 
katydidmischief

Honestly, a full opening door, not just the feeding door, is useful--I sometimes have to take the lid off my 5.5 to do something where as I don't have a problem with my 10 gallon.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 
agunn1231

cool, does it make a difference if there is a light in it or not. Where i live currently there is enough light coming into my apartment that i dont think i woulkd need one, but when i move im not sure how much light there will be where ever i seyt up the tank. And if perhaps i got one with a light in it, could i just not use the light?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #4 
katydidmischief

If there's enough natural light right now, then I imagine that it's fine to hold the light in reserve. It's sometimes cheaper to get the sets--the full w/ light--but you could always get the hood and then a light later.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

IMO the best way to go is a versa top and strip light. Especially if you are going to divide the tank. What I have experienced is that my lights burn out quick because of the water condensating on the bulbs/fixtures in my hoods. I use CFL's. The inside of the hood also gets icky. With the versa top-I have several now, I bought some and made some. I can make them for 1/2 the price of buying them. Easy to clean, harder for the fish to get over the divider and a full access lid. A few suction cups is all you need to wrangle cords and airlines in the back of the tank. Oh, I also have the reptile lid on one of my female tanks. Honestly, it works just fine. The area gets enough natural light during the day and the overhead lighting is good in the evening.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 09-28-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 
CandiceMM

For some of my 10 gallons I use crafting mesh from Michaels, it comes in lots of colors and very easy to cut to size.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #7 
agunn1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
IMO the best way to go is a versa top and strip light. Especially if you are going to divide the tank. What I have experienced is that my lights burn out quick because of the water condensating on the bulbs/fixtures in my hoods. I use CFL's. The inside of the hood also gets icky. With the versa top-I have several now, I bought some and made some. I can make them for 1/2 the price of buying them. Easy to clean, harder for the fish to get over the divider and a full access lid. A few suction cups is all you need to wrangle cords and airlines in the back of the tank. Oh, I also have the reptile lid on one of my female tanks. Honestly, it works just fine. The area gets enough natural light during the day and the overhead lighting is good in the evening.
What kind of materials would I need if I were to try constructing my own lid like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceMM View Post
For some of my 10 gallons I use crafting mesh from Michaels, it comes in lots of colors and very easy to cut to size.
That may work well too. I really enjoy DIY stuff but always thought making a lid would be too tough. Lol
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Many of us still find cling film (Saran Wrap) the best/easiest way to go. It ain't elegant but:

---it holds in the warm moist air that they like
---easy access for tank maintenance
---cheap to replace when it gets funky
---easy access for hand-feeding fish
---lights stay dry
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #9 
agunn1231

i personally like the look of the versa top. What are the pro's and cons of this lid?
for the moment cling film is fine by me too....i also dont have an opposition to mesh, just dont particularly like the look of it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

For my 10g tanks I bought these at Big Lots for $6 each.http://www.ebay.com/itm/140527982867?hlp=false&var=
I just cut the openings I needed for heater/filter...I have this light from walmart that I can lay on top of each one..I have plants in them so I need the light, and the screen won't melt!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-...xture/16879945
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote