Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
minkymink

Would This Be Considered Clamped Fins?

Name:  1001121825-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  37.4 KB

I'm not really sure if they are clamped fins or not!
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Yup...definitely clamped. How long have you had him? What size tank?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
minkymink

I've had him for a little over a week, he's in a 1/2 gallon tank but I just bought a 5 gallon I'm switching him over to in the next week.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkymink View Post
I've had him for a little over a week, he's in a 1/2 gallon tank but I just bought a 5 gallon I'm switching him over to in the next week.
Cool...if he is going to be in the half gallon you have to change his water every day...and this may stress him out, but you will have too much ammonia in there if you don't. The sooner you can get him moved the better. I use 1g empty water jugs to keep water ready. Just fill with tap water, add your water conditioner, and make sure it is at least room temp. Also make sure there is a thermometer in his tank. Bettas like it warm, 77-80 and you need to know if it gets below this.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #5 
minkymink

Thanks so much for the advice, I do have a heater in my small tank and a thermometer, it stays around 76-78. Would there be a possibility of him getting rid of the clamped fins when I do move him?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Thanks so much for the advice, I do have a heater in my small tank and a thermometer, it stays around 76-78. Would there be a possibility of him getting rid of the clamped fins when I do move him?
Probably...high ammonia is very likely in that small of a tank, and there is really no room to put some soft silky plants and a cave for him to hide in. I say get your five gallon up and running...he will be much happier. In the meantime..water changes daily okay? Clean, warm, water, and a safe place to rest do amazing things for these guys! He may still stay clamped for a day or two in the new home, and may not want to eat at first either..but, he will soon relax and LOVE having room to swim and play!

Walmart has a great little pack of soft plants...I think the brand is PenPlax..it's $3..also, I love the river rocks they have at Dollar tree! Just rinse them well in hot water before placing them in your tank. It doesn't have to be expensive to get him set up..and you can always add other things later. As long as you have a filter and heater..I say set it up now. He will be so grateful..just don't forget your water conditioner! lol and check the temp before putting him in there.

Last edited by Bettanewbie60; 10-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 
minkymink

I've been changing his water every 2 days or so, and I got him a silk plant the other day and he seems to be enjoying that. Tomorrow I'll start setting up his new tank and everything. Also, the heater I have is from walmart and tends to fluctuate a bit more than I'd like. I'm planning on investing in a better one as soon as I can.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I've been changing his water every 2 days or so, and I got him a silk plant the other day and he seems to be enjoying that. Tomorrow I'll start setting up his new tank and everything. Also, the heater I have is from walmart and tends to fluctuate a bit more than I'd like. I'm planning on investing in a better one as soon as I can.
Sounds great! Let us know how he's doing okay! I'm not sure if you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you, but mine has a 50% off shelf right now that has a few heaters on it...adjustable ones too! I'm not sure how cold it has gotten up there in NC, but I had to turn my AC on down here today lol...my tanks were too warm!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #9 
minkymink

Unfortunately all I have is a Lets Pets and a Petsmart! And it's actually starting to get a little chilly up here, and it's not helping that my house is kept at a constant 65 lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Unfortunately all I have is a Lets Pets and a Petsmart! And it's actually starting to get a little chilly up here, and it's not helping that my house is kept at a constant 65 lol.
Yeah, 65 is chilly, and you will def need a reliable heater. I'm not saying the one you have won't do the job, but if you are like me, you will be checking constantly to make sure the temp is okay. Hmmmm, Petsmart will probably be really expensive for an adjustable calibrated heater...I don't know about Lets Pets...