Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #11 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by celie View Post
Quick question... are you supposed to keep heaters on at all time? I feel like the water gets too warm and it's only a mini heater 10watt.

Heaters are supposed to have a thermostat built into them - they come on when the water drops below a set temperature, and stay on until the water warms up to said temperature.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #12 
JillGat

I have a 1.5 gallon bowl from www.LiveWithNature.net I've seen little round "betta bowl heaters" that fit in the bottom, but there is no thermostat and they just keep the water 5 or more degrees warmer than the room air. I'd rather have something adjustable, but something that doesn't ruin the look of the bowl. Is there some kind of heating pad one can put under the bowl?
JillGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #13 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillGat View Post
I have a 1.5 gallon bowl from www.LiveWithNature.net I've seen little round "betta bowl heaters" that fit in the bottom, but there is no thermostat and they just keep the water 5 or more degrees warmer than the room air. I'd rather have something adjustable, but something that doesn't ruin the look of the bowl. Is there some kind of heating pad one can put under the bowl?

I was looking at those the other day - they'd be awesome if they had been designed just a little bit differently! There should be an adjustable thermostat on the cord, that's how I would have made them.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Go for it, Toad. Get the patent and sell it to Tetra. :-}
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #15 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Go for it, Toad. Get the patent and sell it to Tetra. :-}

Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #16 
JillGat

I ended up getting a Marina C10 Submersible Aquarium Heater for my 1.5 gal. tank. It's made by Hagen and is pre-set to 78F. This heater has gotten mixed reviews, but it's been on for the last 4 days or so and has never varied more than 1 degree in either direction from 78F, so I'm happy with it so far.
JillGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #17 
greatfiasco

For my small tank I got one of those heaters that Petsmart sells that are "specifically made for bettas". It's just a little preset heater for 1- 1 1/2 gallon tanks. It works wonderfully!
greatfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #18 
Taryn

hah, I just bought one of those!! Ii was hoping for more feedback on it, but apparently we are in uncharted (previously unheated lol) waters. I'm a little concerned with the fact that it is not adjustable because I don't want to cook Fishy, but no one seems to be able to tell you what to do for heat in a tank less than one gallon. Before anyone freaks out, I have a super geriatric fish that really doesn't swim (he's also sick at the moment :( ) so putting him in something that big just doesn't work, he has to struggle too hard to get to the top, even with his plants to perch in. I don't know, hopefully it will work, I will keep everyone updated.
Taryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #19 
greatfiasco

What I do for temp is just keep an eye on the thermometer I have on the tank and just unplug the heater if its getting too warm.
greatfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Taryn,
For your application and QT tanks in general, you can place the tank inside a larger tank that's easier to heat reliably.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote