Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
TheCheese909

How long can a Betta live in unconditioned water?

Don't freak out, it's just a question. I'm not out of any water conditioner or planning any evil experiments lol..

I'm just genuinely curious as to how long a Betta can live in unconditioned straight tap water. I've hear of people not using any water conditioner for like, a month or months at a time just not knowing that the little guy needs a conditioner. Of course the fish is usually seriously ill by then and such, but typically what's the longest anyone has heard of a Betta living like that?
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
umi

I suspect that's what killed my first betta (less than 24 hrs).

I know of an office betta has lived in my office for over three years without any treated water.

I'm sure it varies on the condition and is position of the betta.
umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

As far as I know....4 days. My cousins betta, she didn't condition the water and he lived 4 days then died.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 
LizzyP

When I was younger, like 10 years old I had a betta fish. This betta was kept in a 1 gallon vase, no heater and certainly no water conditioner. Keep in mind I was 10, and had no idea about bettas. That fish lived for a year or more. How, I don't know. He was a trooper though.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

Interesting. Maybe it just depends on how much chlorine is in your water. I would suspect if you have a high amount it would do much more damage much faster.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #6 
Fin Fancier

I owned bettas when I was younger, and lived in the country. I often would just age the water with no conditioning. My bettas lived for years, with none that I can remember living for less than 6 months. The first time I tried doing this after moving to the city I learned the difference in water chemistry the hard way after my fish didn't survive an untreated water change. Every area is different, but I'd definitely say rather safe than sorry.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #7 
nel3

my parents neighbor had a betta that lived in a small vase without conditioner 4-5 years. a fellow customer at an LPS once went to get a replacement betta for her child (typical uncaring "ornamental" fish owner). i asked how long her vase betta lasted, she said 3 yrs and didnt even use conditioner from her curt refusal to purchase conditioner for the replacemnt betta. my nieghbor never heard about conditioner but i cant know how she came to that outcome.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #8 
jake1515

These are all anecdotal. =(
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 
Lisa1010

Conditioner? I have had my betta for about 3 weeks now and she is doing just fine, but I haven't used any conditioner. I use my mom and dad's water and not mine and they have well water. I checked the water and it was fine so I just started using it. Why do you need conditioner??? What I do is when I go to visit, I take water jugs and fill them up then when I do a water change I just use that water and not my nasty tap water. I have about 4 gallons and put them in the basement until I use them. Am I doing something wrong?

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1010 View Post
Conditioner? I have had my betta for about 3 weeks now and she is doing just fine, but I haven't used any conditioner. I use my mom and dad's water and not mine and they have well water. I checked the water and it was fine so I just started using it. Why do you need conditioner??? What I do is when I go to visit, I take water jugs and fill them up then when I do a water change I just use that water and not my nasty tap water. I have about 4 gallons and put them in the basement until I use them. Am I doing something wrong?

Lisa

Water conditonder/dechlorinator is HIGHLY recommended. It helps remove heavy metals, chemicals and other traces of dangerous materials from your water that could otherwise kill your fish.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote