Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL-Which Betta and which "tank"?
KK (Kritter Keeper)-3 gallon 3 25.00%
Minibow Desktop 2.5-5 gallon aquarium starter kit 9 75.00%
CT-pros and cons? 5 41.67%
DT-pros and cons? 2 16.67%
HM-pros and cons? 4 33.33%
PK-pros and cons? 6 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #11 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Barebottom may not be as aesthetically pleasing for some, but it's much easier to clean! I keep most of my smaller tanks bare bottomed.

I always say the bigger, the better, so whichever fits your space & budget that's the biggest would be the one to go for imo. ;)

I only cycle my tanks that are 5 gal+, but water changes and such will depend firstly on which tank you end up picking out and whether you want to filter it or not.

As for bettas...I don't think anyone could pick for you. It's really your own personal preference. ;) Are you planning to buy online or at a pet shop? Usually I go for ones I "connect" with.
haha yep! Barebottom it is!
I am planning for it to be filtered and heated.
If i buy a tank thats say, 3 gallons, would i have to wait for it to mini-cycle or would it not be stable anyways? Would i put the betta in the same day as the tank is set-up and just do frequent water changes?

I am going to the pet-shop, as i feel more connected with the fish if i go that way :)

I am REALLY thinking about a HM or PK
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #12 
Hershey

I like the Tetra and the bookshelf. Hmm.. Maybe try a tail type that's long and that you haven't had?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #13 
MyRainbowBettaFish

tetra and bookshelf were my favroite too :) Looks like its between those two now.
I have had many products from tetra before, and they have pros and cons. Never had the bookshelf, but i really like it.

All i have is a VT right now, so maybe HM? Especially since they are not fast and dont need alot of room to swim fast in like plakats do?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #14 
SnowySurface

I would go with 3 gallons if you don't want to cycle or 5 gallons if you do want a cycled tank. I personally like using a 5 gallon cycled tank for a male betta because I don't have to deal with 100% water changes. I picked the 5 gallon option because the only time I see a con to owning a HM is when your tank is filtered and 5 gallons or more.

CT, DT, and PK (as well as VT) do the best in cylced set ups because they don't have as much finnage to weigh them down in +5 gallon tanks. I do have a HM in a 5 gallon cycled set up (the bookself tank you linked to be exact), so I don't want to make it sound impossible to have a heavily finned fish in a large set up. However, I do notice times when he lays in my floating plants, sits on the sand, or hides in his urn to rest. Not to say my DT never rests, but I notice my HM will be mid stride when he just drifts into a floating plant or gently sinks to the sand to rest before continuing to do his thing.

So if you do get a HM and put him in either the Bookself tank or the 5 gallon cresent tank, he'll need the equivalent of park benches in his tank. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #15 
MyRainbowBettaFish

well, i like PK's too...so which tank? the crescent?

Also, how often would i clean it, and what size heater would i buy?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

You know what, i think i am going to go with a plakat, i have been wanting one for so long, and i dont think i am ready for a HM just yet :)

Hmm or maybe a HMPK?!!!! Best of both-worlds haha!

Hopefully my petsmart carries them!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #17 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
tetra and bookshelf were my favroite too :) Looks like its between those two now.
I have had many products from tetra before, and they have pros and cons. Never had the bookshelf, but i really like it.

All i have is a VT right now, so maybe HM? Especially since they are not fast and dont need alot of room to swim fast in like plakats do?
Ah, I didn't know you were already thinking about bare bottom when I wrote up my first post.

If you go with the 3 gallon tetra tank with an HM you should be good even bare bottom. But bare bottom bookself tank set up wouldn't be a good idea with an HM. Midnight definitely uses my floating plants like park benches and the Urn to hide when he's tired. If you want to go bare bottom with the bookself tank, I would suggest a DT, CT, or VT over an HM. Smokey (my DT) doesn't seem bothered by the filter at all. Luigi and Snowy (my VT and CT that used the tank previously) also didn't have trouble with a baffled filter in my 5 gallon set up. It's only Midnight (my HM) that seems to get tired.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

ok, well i was thinking a HMPK in either of those 2

also, update on my 10 gal!

I took the background down, and my moss ball is growing so fast i know have too!!! Woot woot!
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #19 
MyRainbowBettaFish

sorry, my light in there is kinda bad, and my phone makes it look not clear, but it is really clear actually.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #20 
SnowySurface

You come up with new questions faster than I can type.

Quote:
well, i like PK's too...so which tank? the crescent?

Also, how often would i clean it, and what size heater would i buy?
You can use a 25W adjustable heater for either the 3 or 5 gallon cresent tank or the 5 gallon bookself tank. If you go with the uncycled 3 gallon set up, water changes would be 50% and 100% once a week. A cycled 5 gallon would be 25% once a week with filter swishing in the tank to make sure it doesn't get clogged up.

Quote:
You know what, i think i am going to go with a plakat, i have been wanting one for so long, and i dont think i am ready for a HM just yet :)

Hmm or maybe a HMPK?!!!! Best of both-worlds haha!

Hopefully my petsmart carries them!
I hope so too. Good luck finding the fish you want.

Tags
new betta and setup