Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #11 
DeviCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
When you say shedding.. is it a clear-milky substance, or is it flakes?

(The pleco will need a MUCH larger tank soon, as they can get about 12 inches..)

Velvet will be a golden sheen you will see when shining a light on him- he will also be scratching himself on objects and become very lethargic.

The white puffy spots may be fungus.. may help to post a picture of the white puffy stuff in the Planted Betta Tank subforum to have it identified- if it's fungus then they can recommend a safe way to remove it.
So I got a better look this morning and its actually gray and not shedding off like I thought still can't shine light directly on him. Its algae I know because I took some in to petco and they identified it and the pleco has been eating it and hes not sick. Hes got a pond set up out front that he will be in once he gets bigger hes still pretty small. Besides seeming to rest more hes acting just fine.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #12 
DeviCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazy View Post
How long has the tank been set up for? Is it cycled?
If you have a test for ammonia and nitrItes, please test, or get some water to the shop to test it for you.
The best thing is to try and post a picture of the betta here if you can.
There is a strain of columnaris, that also spreads on plants and decorations and looks like fungal fuzzy fluff easy to clean.
over a month it is fully cycled finally after some help from the pet store. The biggest issue is I don't get paid till the 10th and I don't have a car or any money to get to the store right now. I'll do the best I can hes fast and camera shy. OOO that could be it I've been seeing stuff on my plants that looks like a spider web. Is it dangerous? and if so what can i do to cure it?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #13 
snazy

Are you sure the stuff on the plants is not a type of algae maybe?
Search the web for columnaris just in case as it is common with bettas, there are 3-4 different strains, only one of them kills within 24-48 hours, the rest can go on for ages, eventually killing the fish after a long suffering. One of them for sure is associated with fungus on the plants first which then infects the betta as well and kills it slowly. It's treated with gram negative medication for columnaris, but yours might as well be algae on the plants and unrelated disease on the fish... Without some pictures it's hard to tell. Hopefully it's just algae and your betta is just changing his colours...
Does he have any other signs of sickness, like refusing to eat, resting a lot, hiding, stringy poop, etc..?
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #14 
DeviCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazy View Post
Are you sure the stuff on the plants is not a type of algae maybe?
Search the web for columnaris just in case as it is common with bettas, there are 3-4 different strains, only one of them kills within 24-48 hours, the rest can go on for ages, eventually killing the fish after a long suffering. One of them for sure is associated with fungus on the plants first which then infects the betta as well and kills it slowly. It's treated with gram negative medication for columnaris, but yours might as well be algae on the plants and unrelated disease on the fish... Without some pictures it's hard to tell. Hopefully it's just algae and your betta is just changing his colours...
Does he have any other signs of sickness, like refusing to eat, resting a lot, hiding, stringy poop, etc..?
I'm not 10% sure because the pleco eats it as well. I did look it up and I don't think thats it. His only symptoms are him resting alot and the color change and I'm not even sure he is sick but I'm so scared hes going to die hes my buddy. His poop is not stringy at all I had the pleasure of watching him poop a few minutes ago and it was plump and normal looking. He eats alot 3 pellets and he still acts like hes hungry. Hes still flaring and active when he is moving.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #15 
DeviCy

Still can't get a picture my camera is my phone and its not very good, he also won't sit still long enough to let me he just ran around the tank flaring at me every time I got close.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #16 
DeviCy

he did stop making his bubble nests but sometimes he stops for a week or two.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #17 
DeviCy

Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #18 
DeviCy

There are some pics the best ones I could get I don't think they will help much.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 
Perry the platypus

The pictures are blurry.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #20 
DeviCy

They were taken with my phone its all I have and he moves so fast I can't get a good picture he hates the camera.

Tags
algae, disease, flake, sick, velvet