Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

Wow

I honestly think it's because the IQ of the general public has dropped in the last 50 years. People are just not getting any brighter. Soon we will be beating each other to death with clubs again, devolving? That is what happens when the weak are not eaten by lions -rolls eyes- Good lord though it really feels like that some days...most days....every day of my LIFE.

People don't study the animals they buy anymore, not just betta's but ALL animals. It just when you don't care for a dog then the dog is taken away, with Betta's they are just left to die.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #12 
Bettafish

I have a shirt that says

"somewhere something went terribly wrong"

And its the evolution of man as we get taller then we start getting hunched over again..in front of the computer.

It just pisses me off when people are dumb.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #13 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
As for the size of a betta tank i want to tell someone okay u go live in a closet. and u have to poop eat and sqim in that one spot. oh also theres a random chance it might get cleaned. lets see how long u last. >:D

Its just super stupid all the people. This is why i want to work at a pet store in the fish section so i can help ignorant people and make parents pay for giving in to there kid for a fish they think will just last a few months.
I work in a petstore and I always want to tell people this.
Me:Betta are tropical they need a heater.
Them: "Oh I'll use a desk lamp"
Me:Bettas need at least 2 gallons....they go and buy the smallest bowl.
Them:I want to breed bettas...has no idea what tail type they have and think they can just toss the male & female together.
"I think my betta is dying, he just lies on the bottom" Never cleans the tank water.

You can tell people anything, but some just choose not to listen. What makes it worth it those, are the ones who take what you have to say to heart. Had one lady wanting a betta for her classroom, couldn't understand why hers kept dying. I explained about water changes and the necessity of a heater and she bought everything right on the spot.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #14 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Its just super stupid all the people. This is why i want to work at a pet store in the fish section so i can help ignorant people and make parents pay for giving in to there kid for a fish they think will just last a few months.
honestly you'd probably get fired. sales people everywhere get paid for results, and if someone comes in expecting to spend $20 on a betta and a bowl, they'll most likely leave the store when you tell them it'll be at least four times that price. send enough customers out the door empty handed and you'll be s-canned fast.

that's why pet store employees are so quick to spout off like they do: most of them don't really care about the fish, they just care about making a sale.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #15 
LadyVictorian

Well that is true and then again it's not. As a sale person from Best Buy (oh the dark past) we try to make you spend more than you were willing to pay. A good sales person makes someone who comes in wanting to spend $20 spend $50+. True sales make the deal but anyone can make a sale, the big sales are more important. Why sell a $10 tank when you can move a $35 tank and bump up your commission?

I think in all honesty a lot of petstore salespeople are just under trained or don't honestly care about the job that much. I know working for Best Buy I couldn't stand my job but I still got people to take the coverage they didn't need and the accessories that would benifit them to bump up how much I sold. Stores go off how much they make not how many sales. If you make 20 $10 sales and Joe makes 3 $100 sales guess who gets the raise? Joe. So that rebuttle to your statement is yes and no. Poor knowledge of product and poor salesmenship makes petshop salesmen poor in their job for themselves and the animals involved. Any good salesmen would push the more spendy product with the best solution for owner and animal.

And honestly as a salesperson I would rather have two people walk on me planning to play safe and spend cheap so I can win the big deals, Black tie, spendy laptop, geek squade, home installation. In the end that looks better on my record than someone I made almost no profit on. The lower the profit the more your score goes down as a salesperson. Most product you don't make full price on what you sell. A lot of it goes back to manufacturing companies with the vender deals you have.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-16-2012 at 12:33 AM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah lifespan is an issue like my last Betta lived a year and they have no idea how unimppressive that is.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am so sorry about her. She jumped out.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Etvstores have to store them in small containers but the least they could do is give good no and stop selling bowls.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #19 
Dutch

Sadly it isn't just betta's that have to deal with this kind of treatment. When I was in high school and college I worked at a mom and pop pet shop (bettas were kept singly in 15 gallon tanks with acceptable community fish). In my experience, most of the time, small animals, fish, and reptiles are purchased by impulse buyers, especially at chain stores like petsmart and petco. Some people want an education but when they hear what really is required they just revert to "I'll keep it in a vase. It'll eat the roots." This goes for other animals like iguanas and large snakes which are all too often released into the wild when their true potential is realized. Unfortunately these animals find their way into unsatisfactory homes, usually as the direct result of an impulse buy or well meaning, but unaware, parents trying to keep their kids happy.

The truth of the matter is that while this is our hobby, and we invest a good deal of time into learning what and what not to do, a lot of people see an animal that might cost three bucks and some change as "disposable".

The best thing you can do is teach who you can, provided they are willing to learn, and keep the bettas you do have as happy as possible.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is terrible I feel even plants deserve proper care. I wish every one did good research on pets. I see you keep your Betta in a nice twenty gallon my male betta is so aggressive.