Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #11 
snazy

Please don't take it personally, but this is an appalling set up for a betta you have there. Do you realise that they need big surface area to breath? He can suffocate in this bowl!!!, especialy with that betta bed blocking the little available surface. He looks to have curling at the edges of the fins which I suspected on my own betta when I got him but yours look even more so. It can be caused by bad water conditions, small space, infection, etc...
Here is a video of my betta that I got a month ago who lives in a cycled, heated, planted 7G tank and although he'll never completely recover the damaged fins from the rough life he seems to have had before, he has become really active and happy.
I'd suggest get yourself a small 5G tank with heater and filter, read about how to cycle a new tank and provide you pet with a life he deserves.
Here is my betta that I saved from the pet shop. He was lying on the bottom of his tiny cup listless and look at him now in my tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbKpWUKjdk
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #12 
labloverl

I really appreciate your concern. I got him 2 days ago and had to put him in this vase until his tank arrives. This is in no way his permanent home. Looking through the vase makes everything look bigger, and I can assure you that the log does not block the surface. I can lower the water level just to be sure though. :) The other bettas in the store he came from were all clamped and not doing so well. He was the healthiest one, even flaring at others.

I'm doing the best I know how to, but if there's something I can do better, I will definitely try!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #13 
snazy

Sorry, I jumped up as the fish looked fairly depressed but it's up to you how to make him live till the end of his days. He would love his own tank, filter, heater and all and it's great you are getting one and you'll be watching a happy fish then. If it were me though, I would have done a fishless cycle of his tank first(using pure ammonia like the kleen-off )and then buy the fish. There is a lot of info on the net about nitogen cycle and how to cycle a tank. Fish exposed to ammonia and nitrItes even on temporary basis get permanent damage to their internal organs which will either kill them, or shorten their life and make their immune system weak causing them to easily catch other diseases.

In the mean time, the idea of lowering the water in the bowl is great. Do regular water changes to avoid ammonia build up. Also, make sure you tap water doesn't contain ammonia or chloramines as well as no water change will help and he will be exposed to toxic ammonia 100% of his life which won't be long in this case. There are dechlorinators like Prime that will make these non-toxic but it only lasts 24 hours or so and then the effect is overturn. (tap water that chloramines, once put in a fish tank will convert the chloramines to ammonia and chlorine so even if the tap water doesn't have ammonia but has chloramines, then your fish will be constantly exposed to ammonia if you have no cycled filter to detoxify this for you)

Once you make sure there is no ammonia, or any other toxins, I am sure your fish will recover the damage to his fins and live a happy long life.
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #14 
labloverl

Well, until his tank arrives, I have no where else to put him. I'm doing like Sakura said and changing his water 100% every other day, with a small partial change in between to keep it clean.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote