Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

Oh sorry, but don't panic it happened to me not once even. We all have to be careful they are jump. I think you it good that you added stress coat and dark quiet aria is good.
Wait for Oldfishlady response. I would think you need to continue with water changes and epsom salt. I know usually aquarium salt is good for injured fish though. Not sure what to do in this situation. Wait for Oldfishlady. Don't panic not your fault i hope he will get through.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #22 
BlueJWebb

I checked him this morning and he is swimming around happy and has quite an appetite (I only fed him 1 pellet this morning). There are bright red vertical streaks along his gills and his fins are a little shredded in some spots. I'm not sure if I should put Epsom salt or aquarium salt in his bowl. I had ordered Indian Almond Leaf on ebay when I started treating him the first time around and I just received them yesterday. I feel like it saved his life. He has been so calm since the leaf has been in his water. I mixed up the epsom salt & leaf mixture and put some of that in his water so it's around 20 - 25% a mixture of that and 75% non salt water. I'm worried about infections and diseases at this point. He seems to not hate me as he came up to greet me this morning & did his I want food wiggle. He is still in a small Tupperware bowl with a low water level in the heated tank & I found a clean turkey baster & I cleaned thoroughly with vinegar and used it for a small water change last night.

He's been in non salted water since sunday, last night is the first time since that I added any salt. He still seems to have some very minor issues with constipation so I am afraid of the aquarium salt. Daphnia has been a huge help keeping him regulated. I don't want to feed him that now because it's the frozen stuff so it can still potentially pass something to him.
BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #23 
ANHEL123

I am so happy to read your update. I think you doing right thing. Almond leaf and epsom salt. Epsom salt also has antibacterial / fungal affect. So it will help with infection. Since he still have minor issue with constipation i think epsom salt is right thing to do. And if he responsive and eating then his fins should heal with what you doing. Just keep water super clean. bright red vertical streaks along his gills from injury. Not sure if it can be permanent or will heal but look like it not bothering him and probably will get better also.
Please keep us update .
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #24 
BlueJWebb

Just a little update - Frank is doing great. He looks like he's come back from war with his red streaks on his gills and his shredded fins (which actually look like they are healing a bit) but he is building these huge bubble nests & jumps at his food when he sees it coming. I am also floating a female in a dish next to him in the tank and when I got their dishes too close together he flared at her so he must be feeling better. I honestly think without the Indian Almond Leaf he wouldn't have made it. I just can't believe that he's pulled through all this. I'm afraid to put him back into a real tank though. It seems like every time I do he gets sick.

I've been tearing apart the 10 gallon at the same time - it will have brand new natural gravel - no more paint chips! - and I want to plant it. I've found a few suggestions here on the forum. I'd like to start with floating plants and maybe some java fern. And I bought the material to make a divider so he and the female can be in the same tank (I saw her at petsmart and she was a tiny baby - after a day of not being able to get her out of my mind my boyfriend bought her for me). She will eventually be moving to my boyfriends house - I have to rip his tank apart too before that can happen.

But I know he's not ready to go into a bigger tank yet so it's not a huge rush. I have a 2.5 gallon tank set up, just waiting for the heater I bought for it to arrive. I'm torn as to who should go where and when. I guess I will figure it out. What's important is that Frank is OK.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Awesome....so good to hear Frank is perking up and flirting.....good job....keep us updated.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #26 
babystarz

I'm so glad to hear Frank is improving :) And I get fish jumping out of nets onto my floor/tables/behind stuff all the time. I just scoop them up with my hands and put them in their tanks and they're never worse for the wear. I even have one fish that I think jumps on purpose. He must like the adrenaline rush from his sky diving or something :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #27 
BlueJWebb

Frank has been moved to his 10 gallon

Another update on Frank - after my last post I continued to do daily water changes for frank and this weekend I decided he was doing well enough to go back into his 10 gal tank. I think his gills are permanently scarred. he's got some vertical shiny silver/red streaks on his gills which he got when he jumped and the ends of his fins still look tattered. When I got him he was an all blue fish. Now he has quite a bit of red and blue! And he poo's like a horse and jumps for his food, much better than he was a month ago. I did multiple water changes until I got the ammonia down to 0. For some reason the ammonia built up in the tank with no fish in it..I am guessing floating the plastic bowls in the tank had something to do with it (?) because the water tested fine before I had the bowls in the tank. But he is in his tank now and swimming as fast as he can back and fourth in his tank, I am guessing that means he is happy (I hope that's not his desperate attempt to escape because of something horrible I missed in his water). He's also been checking out the rocks I put in his tank. He kind of cocked his head a few time and flared a little while staring at them. It was hilarious to watch. He managed to put a tiny pinhole in his anal fin which I think was caused by the silk plant I put in with him. His fins have always been unreasonably delicate so I removed it. There is some extra stress coat in the water to help out with his fins. I've attached a picture of him (I apologize for the crappy quality. My phone sucks) and I might add that his fins have never been so full before.

I also attached a picture of the filter I have going in his tank. Is it enough to cycle the tank? I don't have a terribly powerful air pump hooked up to it because the current & disturbance on the water surface seemed to upset him. I had a bio wheel in the tank before and even with it baffled & a pre filter made of layered pantyhose he was getting knocked around the tank. Granted he would swim into the current and then let himself be carried away but he would bash into the glass and even the heater at times.

Should I be doing water testing every day or is every 2 - 3 days ok? And changing water when there is ammonia present (which could end up being daily) or do the standard rules apply? I just want to make sure he doesn't get sick again. Oh yes and I plan on adding live plants eventually. I bought a couple of Marimo balls on ebay and some weeping moss. I'm not sure how I will get that to work yet (maybe tie it around some tiny flowerpots?) - but I plan on getting some floating plants and a couple of plants that can be tied to rocks or flower pots (I bought a bunch to put in)..and after all of that I want to add some ghost shrimp to clean up any missed food.

I swear he's been more work than I ever imagined but when I am at work all I can think about is how to make his environment better. And thank you to everyone who's been so kind to help. I was so lost before I found this forum.

And lets not forget his companion, Amelia Pond (she is white with red speckles on her head and red tipped fins - Dr. Who fans will get this lol). I put her in the 2.5 gallon w/a new heater that was tested for 3 days. She will probably get a water change every other day until I can move her to her permanent home at my boyfriends house. I am also setting up a 10 gallon "with" him ;) I still have to rip that tank apart and clean it. :/
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #28 
BlueJWebb

Wth?

Well, Frank has been in his 10 gallon for a couple of weeks now and he seemed to be doing well, until I got home from work today. I had to go to my boyfriend's last night and because Frank has been doing seemingly well I felt confident I could leave him for one night. Well, I come home to a huge chunk of his caudal fin missing. I put him in my 2.5 gallon with the appropriate dose of stress coat to treat torn fins and some aquarium salt (1/4 tsp per gal), which hopefully wont cause him to get constipated/bloated again. When I put him in his 10 gallon he seemed to be getting pin holes in his fins, but they were also healing so I thought he would be ok. Did I do the right thing?
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

Tail biting. A lot of betta do this . I have tail bitter. He does it. But i am lucky he does it about every 6 month. I actually keep ''toys'' in his tank so he get busy. I have thermometer, heater on one side and just heater holder on another side. He circle around that heater holder sometimes, i have a few plant on my table next to his tank. I keep him busy. Some bettas can bite tail on regular basis and you just have to keep water super clean to prevent infection. Do not add aquarium salt yet. First you add 1/4 per gall it not therapeutic dose and it will not help and if you will use it his immune system will get resistant to it and it will not help when you really need to treat him.

I just do extra water changes for my 2.5 gall and my tail bitter who is about 3.2 years old never had any problem and his tail grow fast . I do 2-50% and 1-100 a week for my 2.5 gall.

So if he is eating and active just do extra water changes and it should grow back. Only if you will see that his tail getting worse or if you will see white,cottony like patches than you might need to treat him.

Tags
constipation, dying betta, fin rot, pop eye, tail biting