Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #181 
Sakura8

Is he stable enough to do a complete change? Otherwise . . . another option is to get a 1 gal jug and fill it with 5 cups dechlorinated water. When you get the meds, you'll add the first dose to that. I think it is 1 packet. Mix well. Next, get another 1 gal jug or something that holds 1 gallon of water. Fill that with dechlorinated water. Now pour 1/2 cup of the medicated water into this jug. Then fill up his cup with the now medicated water. I know, it's a lot of steps but it's the only safe way to medicate small tanks.

Now, if you ARE able to do a 100% change and remove all the salt and you are going to put him back into the big tank, then you can still use the 5 cup method for preparing the medicine. However, add 1/2 cup of the medicated water for every gallon of his tank. So he would get 1 cup and 1/4 of the medicated water.

I hope I'm not being too confusing. I kinda confused myself there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #182 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Is he stable enough to do a complete change? Otherwise . . . another option is to get a 1 gal jug and fill it with 5 cups dechlorinated water. When you get the meds, you'll add the first dose to that. I think it is 1 packet. Mix well. Next, get another 1 gal jug or something that holds 1 gallon of water. Fill that with dechlorinated water. Now pour 1/2 cup of the medicated water into this jug. Then fill up his cup with the now medicated water. I know, it's a lot of steps but it's the only safe way to medicate small tanks.

Now, if you ARE able to do a 100% change and remove all the salt and you are going to put him back into the big tank, then you can still use the 5 cup method for preparing the medicine. However, add 1/2 cup of the medicated water for every gallon of his tank. So he would get 1 cup and 1/4 of the medicated water.

I hope I'm not being too confusing. I kinda confused myself there.
I believe I get it. The first option is for his cup and the second is for his tank right? I don't think he will handle a 100% water change right now. I will do it in his cup. Now in that second jug do I fill it with 5 cups of dechlorinated water as well? Then add the 1/2 cup of medicated water to that jug right?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #183 
sunlight

hey guys just want to say my opinion.
I was thinking if he has flukes which is i think 80-90% is probably right diagnosis ,because of raised scales,then how i understand we need to continue with salt treatment. And in my mind sorry but 100% needed only because flukes not visible to naked eye and we suppose/need to remove them from the water .

Since aquarium salt also antibacterial and antifungal aquarium salt will also take care of fin rot.

So this is my logic that salt enough for now. We don't want to give him too much. And i think the most important now is flukes, because it can be fatal.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #184 
Sakura8

RedRaz, sorry, I ran off to dinner. The second jug would be filled with a complete gallon.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #185 
sunlight

so you guys decided not to do salt? What if he still have flukes?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #186 
Sakura8

If he still has flukes, then hopefully a triple dose of Stress Coat will help him maintain enough slime coat to keep them at bay.

It's up to you, RedRaz, if you want to continue with salt or if you want to treat the rot. The rot isn't *that* bad but with his immune system compromised like this, there's always a chance it could worsen rapidly. But sunlight is also right that if he has flukes still, he needs those taken care of. Kind of a catch-22 really. :/
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #187 
RedRaz

Honestly he looks in really bad shape. I don't think anything we do will help at this point. I just don't want to cause him anymore stress. This poor guy has been through so much and it has only been a month. My poor sweet Raz. :(
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #188 
sunlight

It just if he has flukes they will kind of eat him to death. Sorry tell me if i am wrong i don't want to upset anyone. The linkes that i posted before where people were treating bettas even though they weak. That is why we treating them. But i don't want be the one who people will blame for wrong advice though.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #189 
Sakura8

No, sunlight, you're right. Left untreated, flukes will eventually do just that. Furthermore, the bites they leave tend to get infected with bacteria as well.

RedRaz, probably best to put him back into AQ water for now if he can handle that. Otherwise, clean water will do fine as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #190 
sunlight

And if you get IAL make sure you rinse them before you put them in.