Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #11 
harleraven

Ugh! People can be so ignorant. that's exactly where my signature came from. No one cares about invertebrates, either. "It's just a bug, who cares if it goes extinct?"
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

I think it bugs me because it was posted by a pet rescue site. They should know better
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #13 
Pilot00

Cant find the damnable pick to post a comment.

Ok apparently no need, someothers did it had to like their comments though!

Last edited by Pilot00; 09-30-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #14 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
my youngest daughter has one of those
I never knew they could be so much work
"Sugar" has a bath, then a quick breakfast, then a walk to school.
Once i've dropped them off at school im given strict instruction
to make sure she (Sugar) has a nap at lunch after shes had time
watching my sorority then a quick snack before i pick them up after school.
She even has her own little travel bag, one of those miniature versions of
pet carriers thats for Petshop pets.
lol that's really cute!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #15 
leafythegreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
No one cares about invertebrates, either. "It's just a bug, who cares if it goes extinct?"
Marine biology major. I feel your pain. People will get their panties in a knot when someone kills a stupidly common bottlenose dolphin, but they don't care when hundreds of pounds of "bycatch" die and the ocean floor is scarred up from trawling nets just to bring their Filet o' Fish to them. Why we in America haven't switched completely to American farm-raised tilapia as our "cheap fish" is beyond me.

In other words, eat your cichlids, kids. It makes the planet happy.

Everyone being fish lovers as you are, if you like eating them as much as you like raising them and you're interested in ethical eating, check it out here. Some ways of catching or raising fish are far more eco-friendly than others.

(Recreational fishermen - you're fine. We like you. You're more than happy to comply with tag-and-release programs and size and number limits. If you can't eat it, you release it, usually alive and quite well. Most of us, myself included, are fishermen ourselves. Rest assured, you make a very small impact on the environment.)

Okay, okay, rant ended.
leafythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #16 
toad

...So, I had said that I never saw this posted on FB, but last night, a friend of mine posted it, and then admitted she posted it to bait me into defending the goldfish o.O It worked, of course.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

That is so sad, that fish and YES even bugs are not considered animals. I know a LOT of people who actually have pet insects and give them no real care like what they truly need, spiders left to starve, cockroaches in dirty tanks with far too many in one cage, mantis's....forced to kill one another D:

I had a pet mantis once and I remember crying so hard when he passed away. I pretty much choked on my tears, he was such a smart little animal. People underestimate how smart fish and insects can truly be. AND ANT FARMS GAH...that was the WORST idea ever.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #18 
Pilot00

Though i cant understand why one would keep a cockroach as a pet, I do understand that if you decide to do it, do it good for /%#) shake.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Fisheries science graduate, herpetology-lover, and aquatic entomology enthusiast here. I feel your pain. I fight for the little guys almost daily. The direction this thread has taken reminds me of a quote by one of my favorite authors, Aldo Leopold:

Quote:
The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not.
It's from his book, A Sand County Almanac. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in studying the natural world.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Goldfish are extremely hard to care for I find. Little poop machines need large tanks, usually double filtration, and certain kinds like bubble eye and Moore can't have certain ornaments due to their buggy eyes!!

And people complain a CAT is too much work. I couldn't keep my kitty because someone screwed me over so bad I rehomed every single animal I had excluding only three fish. But I took it into my own hands NOT to let irresponsible people like a backyard breeder have my cat (to which I was cursed and yelled at for not letting her have my cat?)

Sorry to say but most people... Are dumb. "too much work for a dog" well... A dog is not a plant. And that said. Even plants need care. And so do fish. :/ I OFFERED a store who had two tall vases (16 inch high, and only 2 inch radius) with bettas, bowls. "no we're fine".

Last edited by Olympia; 10-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote