Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Enjoy your stay.....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #12 
Gehenna

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to ask and clear your doubts, plenty of knowledgeable people in here.

Yes, try to get an aquarium with some sort of lid, or something that works like it because they leap!! Mine did, gave me quite a scare because i was changing his watter on another room and left him on a cup on the mean time, when i returned i saw him on top of my keyboard.

And yes, bettas do breathe air, they have an organ called labyrinth, they use it to breathe in low oxigen watter.
Gehenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #13 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Hi there! I know most of your questions have been anwsered but my opion is the following:
-I feed my fish Omega 1 betta pellets I like this food because
-It is healthy for my fish
-My fish love them!
-It is cheap (money wize)
-1 container lasts a long time
-screw on lid reduses spills
This food is comonly mixed with New Life Spectrum pellets but I only feed Omega 1 pellets. I recommend feeding 3 pellets twice a day or 6 pellets in total but you should split up the feedings so you feed him more than once. Never get Wardley betta food of any kind I think it is the most horrible thing it is unhealthy and bettas don't like it. I use all brands of products and recommend getting an aqua-clear filter. There is a thread called product favorites on here you should check it out it includes links to websites where the product is available. Halfmoons are gorgeous ny personal favorite and like they say bettas are addicting and like potato chips you can't just have 1 lol. I always keep the following meds on hand
-aquarium salt
-mela fix
-prima fix
-Indian almond leaves
I like fluval chi tanks but find they are expensive. 10 gal sounds great make sure to get a heater. If you have any questions feel free to pm me I am on here almost everyday its addicting lol.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #14 
NVGail228

Hi to another newbie like me. I live in the middle of nowhere so all my supplies have to be bought on line. Currently, if I have the $) I've used Petco's tanks. They have a 2 gallon Petco brand tank complete with filter (which I've baffled to keep the current down). Just add a small heater - I suggest one that's manually adjustable. I use 25V Hydor Theo which so far is cheapest to by at DrsFostersmith.com. This was the cheapest and smallest adjustable heater I've found and it's worked out great. Don't forget to add a thermometer to make sure the temp stays where you want it. Oh, and Petco also sells it's Petco brand 6.6 gallon tank. Haven't tried it yet but just might if I decide to have a divided tank. Good luck and welcome. My 4 guys are as dear to me as my dog...which means that they're as good as family. Good on you...you've caught the betta bug!
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #15 
NorthernLights

stuff for fish

It pains me to say it, but Wal-Mart is a good place to get a number of things, and it's usually close by most places. You need to know what you are looking for, but if you want I can tell you what is available from there that should be fine for your fish. Please be aware that quite a bit of their stuff is NOT good, so don't walk in there without doing some homework first.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #16 
tpocicat

Welcome to the forum. You will get all the help you need for the care of your betta buddy here.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #17 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Hi there! I know most of your questions have been anwsered but my opion is the following:
-I feed my fish Omega 1 betta pellets I like this food because
-It is healthy for my fish
-My fish love them!
-It is cheap (money wize)
-1 container lasts a long time
-screw on lid reduses spills
This food is comonly mixed with New Life Spectrum pellets but I only feed Omega 1 pellets. I recommend feeding 3 pellets twice a day or 6 pellets in total but you should split up the feedings so you feed him more than once. Never get Wardley betta food of any kind I think it is the most horrible thing it is unhealthy and bettas don't like it. I use all brands of products and recommend getting an aqua-clear filter. There is a thread called product favorites on here you should check it out it includes links to websites where the product is available. Halfmoons are gorgeous ny personal favorite and like they say bettas are addicting and like potato chips you can't just have 1 lol. I always keep the following meds on hand
-aquarium salt
-mela fix
-prima fix
-Indian almond leaves
I like fluval chi tanks but find they are expensive. 10 gal sounds great make sure to get a heater. If you have any questions feel free to pm me I am on here almost everyday its addicting lol.
Great advice, but all I see wrong is that feeding 6 pellets a day is not a good idea. Remember that bettas are gluttonous, opportunistic hunters and they will continue to eat until they are seriously ill and can no longer move. Pellets, no matter how small, should never exceed 3 per fish per day.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #18 
NVGail228

Hi, again. I just read the post that said you lost your sevice dog. I am so, so sorry. My last dog (who went to dog heaven in 2003) and my current girl were both service dogs....although the first one decided to do it on her own by alerting me to a medical crises and saving my life. My current girl is "official" and is my companion, helper and friend. I'm glad you have a betta to help you along and hope you can deal until it's possible to get a new helper while you keep the other in your heart as I do.
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #19 
Bettaworldfighters

Cool hello

[Hey ,I have been breeding Bettas and raising them for a long time. A betta can live a happy life in a quart of water, with a small plant. and being feed well., But I put mine in a gallon of water, and this is more than enough for 1 fish less than 2 inches long, who doesnt need air supply being pumped in water. When I breed them do you really think I can have 400 fry in 3 months all in gallon spaces of course not. I put them in mason Jars .feed them live food so the water isnt polluted. and change there water 2 times a week completely by the time there 4 to 5 months old they are being sent to there new owners who have been waiting, 4 or 5 months.and they get to see them grow up before there eyes, some use quart size contziners ,others gallan, or larger. Mine are best not put in comunity setting, because they tend to be bullies. I believe thats what makes them hardy and have longer lives. I dont like to see Bettas who look like there swimming in jelly or in a coma. I like happy fish. That only happens when you pay attention to any animal you have.. I have a betta [Royce]in my office in 2.5 gallon tank with a flow filter for a 15 gallon tank and half the day the filter kicks on and he loves to swim against current with it.or if tired he just goes to other side of tank. has live plants, but he's happy and gets excersise.

Last edited by Bettaworldfighters; 10-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Bettaworldfighters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #20 
Bettaworldfighters

Look its okay if you want to put your betta in a 10 gallon tank,but honestly there fine in half gallon or liter of water, and there happy if you take care of them, clean water,fresh food, attention yes attention, they like it when you come to the room and look at them and chat a lil. who doesnt, lost a Betta this morning and he looked great yesterday first time in months i have lost 2 in 3 days , Im gona miss Aztec he was a true buddy, hope your in the big pond in the sky. Buddy.
Bettaworldfighters is offline   Reply With Quote