Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

How can I get the ammonia out of my water fast?

I have a male betta, Comet, in a 10 gallon hospital tank since he has fin rot. While his tank was once cycled, he get a new filter so he doesn't have enough bacteria to support a full cycle. His ammonia is at 0.02ppm and I can't get it down. My tap water has about 0.05ppm ammonia so water changes only make the problem worse. Adding ammonia lock or prime won't work because there isn't enough of a cycle to get rid of the less toxic form of ammonia before it converts back.
His fin rot is getting bad fast so I put some triple sulfa in today. It might not work though since he still has ammonia in his water. I need to get that out really soon so the meds can have a chance of working. Comet's other water parameters are pretty good so the ammonia is my only really big problem. I put some TopFin ammonia remover in today to lessen the effects of the ammonia so the medicine can have a better chance. What can I do to get the ammonia out of my tank fast?
Should I add ammonia remover every day? I'm worried this is bad for my betta and could hurt him in the long run. Also the medicine requires a water change in 2 days, so what should I do to get the ammonia out of my tap water. Is there any kind of filter or something I can get that eliminates tap water ammonia. I really need help so please reply fast. Thanks
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Water dechloranitad helps I have read it gets rid of ammonia too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 
Leopardfire

If I put prime into my tap water before adding it, would it be safe to use even though I don't have a cycle? I don't want to be replacing the old ammonia with new after each water change.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
you can do a water change.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #5 
DragonFish

I do believe Prime should detoxify the ammonia in your tap, turn it into less-toxic ammonium. I recall reading somewhere this means that it may still show up when you test, but I'm not totally positive about that....

Frequent water changes with a double-dose of Prime I'd say would be helpful.

Do you have another tank that is cycled? Any chance you could seed this tank?

I've heard some good things about bottled bacteria aiding a lot of people in the cycling process lately, perhaps look into that to help speed up your cycle a little?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 
Leopardfire

I have some tetra safestart that I could add to the filter. I guess I will try some prime and hopefully that will work. Does anyone know how long the change to ammonium lasts or if it is permanent.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #7 
DragonFish

I do believe its permanent.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to add in some safestart and see if that helps you're cycle along a little.

Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Prime converts ammonia to ammonium for up to 48 hours. Ammonium reads the same as ammonia on the API test kit.

Change water every two days with a double dose of Prime to keep ammonia down.

I've been following reports of members using Safestart. It seems it really does speed up the cycle. It also helps keep ammonia in check. They suggest using a double or triple dose applied directly to the filter. Having a filter with plenty of foam for the bacteria colony helps.

Please keep me updated about your use of Safestart. Prime, and anything else you can think of.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #9 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Prime converts ammonia to ammonium for up to 48 hours. Ammonium reads the same as ammonia on the API test kit.
Aha! Thank you, I'll remember that. I wasn't entirely positive on this point....
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #10 
Leopardfire

Okay, I added some safestart to the filter this morning, but since it was just a little, I will add some more. I will also get the prime so it will be ready for my 25% water change tomorrow. Should I prepare the water early and let it sit with the prime for a few hours, or should I just fill it up regularly and add the prime right before I put the water in?

Tags
ammonia, cycle, fin rot, tap water